• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdameanor Extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oneslylook38

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tn
My question is, I am on probation for a misdameanor. If I left the state while I have a misdameanor charge would the state of Tn extradite me from Ohio?

seniorjudge

Q: If I left the state while I have a misdameanor charge would the state of Tn extradite me from Ohio?

A: What is the misdemeanor?

oneslylook38

Misdemeanor Extradition

I am on probation for domestic violence, I have asked to be transferred back to ohio but they told me that was not possible. So if I leave while on probation, I know I automatically would be violated. But, my question basically is would tn. extradite me back from Ohio on a midemeanor warrent?

CdwJava

They likely would not extradite you but the warrant would last forever. It will prevent access to most decent jobs and careers, prevent access to many government supported loans (housing and student loans among them), will prevent access to many types of welfare and government aid, and will result in contacts by the police that otherwise might not have happened. Even if they won't extradite, you could find yourself hooked and booked until they find out that no extradition will occur ... and that could happen with some frequency.

It's not going to go away just because you ignore it.

- Carl

outonbail

Whatever court orders and/or conditions of your probation you have to follow, until you get through your probation period successfully, will be much easier to abide by now, than they will be later, should you decide to violate them and worry about the consequences in the future.

Another thing to consider is this: If you should happen to receive another charge for any offense, it is automatically a violation of your probation. If your current probation were to expire in say two years, then you would have two years of a VOP hanging over your head if you were to get in any other trouble.

However, if you decide to flee, your probation will not end in two years and depending on when you decide to return to finally take care of what you should be doing now, your probation clock will start all over again at that time. So if you decide to flee, you could have this probation hanging over your head for a very long time.

Another thing to consider is if you are arrested in the future and it is discovered that you violated your probation in Tn. by fleeing, a judge is not as likely to release you from custody on an OR or signed promise to appear, since you will then have a history of fleeing.

Bottom line, if you flee to Ohio, I promise you, you will live to regret it.

Also, you never know what will happen when you're picked up in Ohio, as Tn can extradite you if they have the time and want you bad enough. You just never know. They may not do it the first time Oh picks you up, or the second or the third, but the fourth time,,, they just may decide to come and get you...

oneslylook38

Misdemeanor Extradition

Thank you for your advice outonbail. I decided that I do not want to live my life on the run. I just went through a spell of depression where I thought about giving up. I really do appreciate your honesty and your advice. Thank you.

outonbail

Thank you for your advice outonbail. I decided that I do not want to live my life on the run. I just went through a spell of depression where I thought about giving up. I really do appreciate your honesty and your advice. Thank you.
Your certainly welcome. I assure you that this will all be behind you soon enough. Some mistakes in life are much more costly than others, but the ones that end up costing the most, are the one's we don't learn from.

So learn and always remember the old saying,,,

When you find yourself in a hole, Stop Digging!

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">