• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor Assault 1 (Domestic Assault)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CuriousVA

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

Hello, I recently pressed assault charges on my estranged wife after she scratched 5 large gouges in my arm while I was holding our child. She is Bi-Polar, and curently unmedicated.

I cannot afford a lawyer, but she can, and has told me that she does not need to go to her Preliminary hearing, and that her Lawyer will be going in her stead.

Is this true? Shouldn't she have to show up in court?

What should I expect from the proceedings? Can her Lawyer somehow get the case dropped?

Thanks,

FlyingRon

The preliminary hearing is to establish that there is enough to proceed with the case. You NEED a lawyer, the complaintants lawyer is not motivated to act in your interest.

It's not a trial, she doesn't need to appear, but it would be more compelling if she did.

Just Blue

The preliminary hearing is to establish that there is enough to proceed with the case. You NEED a lawyer, the complaintants lawyer is not motivated to act in your interest.

It's not a trial, she doesn't need to appear, but it would be more compelling if she did.
Why would the OP need a lawyer? The DA will act on behalf of the state/OP. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">