• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor and employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I received a battery charge 3 years ago and its still affecting my employment. Is there a time frame businesses look at to over look this misdemeanor (7 years)...what can i do?:confused:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I received a battery charge 3 years ago and its still affecting my employment. Is there a time frame businesses look at to over look this misdemeanor (7 years)...what can i do?:confused:
I know in Texas, You can get an order of non-disclosure on misdemeanor cases after 2 years. This means that your record will only be availible to certain agencies and not to the general public(ie employers) In Florida, I’m not too sure of the timeframe but take a look at this website - Florida Department of Law Enforcement getting your records sealed will definitely help with employment

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether or not there is a point at which employer are prohibited from looking at your criminal record, the answer is no, in Florida there is not. They can look all the way back to birth if they want to, barring sealed or expunged records. And depending on the employer, even a sealed or expunged record is not necessarily invisible.

There ARE restrictions on when that record can be used against you IF the job requires a license, certificate or permit, but it's not a time frame. The restrictions relate to what kind of conviction it is and how closely it relates to the job at hand.

jsmith416

The employer may or may not know depending on the type of background check they run. Go ahead and lie on the application if you want. The only consequence you risk is that they may fire you if they later find out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The employer may or may not know depending on the type of background check they run. Go ahead and lie on the application if you want. The only consequence you risk is that they may fire you if they later find out.
Keep up this and you won't be here much longer. It is blatantly wrong to tell a poster to lie on their job app.

jsmith416

Keep up this and you won't be here much longer. It is blatantly wrong to tell a poster to lie on their job app.
I was not advising them they should lie on the app, merely telling them that if they did and the employer found out the only consequence could be a job loss.

Failing to disclose something on an employment application with a private employer is not illegal. Can you cite a law which says otherwise? Or is this no longer a LEGAL advice forum and instead a MORAL advice forum?

And besides, if you ban somebody and they want to continue to post they will just register a new account. And what will you do then? Become a private forum? I highly doubt the sponsors would care for that.

edit: To summarize, you shouldn't make idle threats.

Last edited:
I was not advising them they should lie on the app, merely telling them that if they did and the employer found out the only consequence could be a job loss.

Failing to disclose something on an employment application with a private employer is not illegal. Can you cite a law which says otherwise? Or is this no longer a LEGAL advice forum and instead a MORAL advice forum?

And besides, if you ban somebody and they want to continue to post they will just register a new account. And what will you do then? Become a private forum? I highly doubt the sponsors would care for that.

edit: To summarize, you shouldn't make idle threats.

Im pretty sure they can ban IP adressed.. Ive been banned from a whole lotta forums =)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">