• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor--Petty Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sofokufun3

What is the name of your state? California

I was convicted with a petty theft misdemeanor in January 2000. It was my first and last arrest, my questions is: My case has been expunged and what I would like to know is, if I was to apply for a county or federal job anywhere in the U.S. will this conviction show up in the background check?

My situation is: I'm applying for a job in a non-profit government funded organization. I don't know if I'll will be hired due to my criminal background. Could you help me anyone??

Thank You

CdwJava

CA criminal history records are not subject to public view. However, unless your record has truly been expunged from court and local agency records, some record of it exists at the local level. The record may also exist for 7 years on many of the private background firms that exist out there. These companies receive records from local courts and government entities and hold them for 7 years, so some record of the theft might still occur.

If your job involves a security background check or were related to law enforcement you might be required to disclose this arrest, conviction, and expunged. However, that does not sound like it it is the case.

Expect that they WILL find out about the theft. I would recommend being honest about it ... but, if you choose not to, just don't lie on the application or background forms. And double check that your offense was actually expunged - all because you were told it was, or you believed it was, does NOT mean that it had been.

- Carl

sofokufun3

Restraining order...it was dropped...what next?

In 7/2007 a restraining order was ordered against me but it was dropped due to lack of evidence from the other party. My question is: Will this show up in my background check?

Thanks again for your prompt answers!!:)

CdwJava

In 7/2007 a restraining order was ordered against me but it was dropped due to lack of evidence from the other party. My question is: Will this show up in my background check?

Thanks again for your prompt answers!!:)
If they check local court records, it might. if not, then it shouldn't.

But, all background iestigations are not equal ... no one can say whether it will or will not show up, but private employers do not have access to state records so it won't come from there.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">