• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tyler Dylan

I live in the state of ohio and I recieved a ticket for not having a drivers license. I was unable to attend the court date due to the fact that I was out of state. I understand that there is now a misdemeanor warrant issued for me. My question is, I no longer drive or even own a car, is that warrant going to show up on a pre-employment backround check? what about one in anouther state?

FlyingRon

It might. But eventually you're going to have to deal with this. It will rear it's head at inopportune times. Are you never intending to ever drive again?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter if you will ever drive again. You failed to appear in court and you have a warrant which will not be vacated until you show up in court and deal with the original issue.

Regardless of the type of offense (misdemeanor, felony, etc) the warrant will show up throughout the country if a check is done. You may not be extradicted from a long distance, but you will be arrested and held until the agency that is dealing with you can confirm the warrant and the fact that you will not be extradicted.

Do you really want to deal with that, or the possibility of it?

Tyler Dylan

statute of limitations

Is there no statute of limitations on a misdemeanor warrant? This ticket was issued back in June ‘09.

FlyingRon

Warrants do not have statute of limitations and neither does the underlying charge. Even if there were, they are tolled (put on hold) while you are playing fugitive in another state.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As Ron points out, statute of limitations does not apply here. You are misunderstanding the concept of SOL.

It applies to the time period between the commission of the offense and the commencement of prosecution. Your prosecution started when you were handed the ticket.

A warrant is an order to bring you before the court (since you failed to appear when you were supposed to). SOL has no meaning in a case like that.

Tyler Dylan

Ok, "statute of limitations" is the wrong term I guess. do Misdemeanor warrants never expire? or will this thing stay with me forever?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok, "statute of limitations" is the wrong term I guess. do Misdemeanor warrants never expire? or will this thing stay with me forever?
It will stay. And you will end up eventually getting arrested on it. Now you can decide you want to deal with at a good time or you can get arrested, most likely at the worst time possible.

cyjeff

Every single criminal background check I have ever run (and I have run dozens) would have shown an outstanding warrant.

Every one.

Now, not all criminal checks are created equal... but "current wants and warrants" is typical... I have never seen it left out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">