+ Reply to Thread
    Tyler Dylan is offline Junior Member

Misdemeanor warrants

I live in the state of ohio and I recieved a ticket for not having a drivers license. I was unable to attend the court date due to the fact that I was out of state. I understand that there is now a misdemeanor warrant issued for me. My question is, I no longer drive or even own a car, is that warrant going to show up on a pre-employment backround check? what about one in anouther state?
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    It might. But eventually you're going to have to deal with this. It will rear it's head at inopportune times. Are you never intending to ever drive again?
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't matter if you will ever drive again. You failed to appear in court and you have a warrant which will not be vacated until you show up in court and deal with the original issue.

Regardless of the type of offense (misdemeanor, felony, etc) the warrant will show up throughout the country if a check is done. You may not be extradicted from a long distance, but you will be arrested and held until the agency that is dealing with you can confirm the warrant and the fact that you will not be extradicted.

Do you really want to deal with that, or the possibility of it?

statute of limitations

Is there no statute of limitations on a misdemeanor warrant? This ticket was issued back in June 09.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Warrants do not have statute of limitations and neither does the underlying charge. Even if there were, they are tolled (put on hold) while you are playing fugitive in another state.
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    As Ron points out, statute of limitations does not apply here. You are misunderstanding the concept of SOL.

It applies to the time period between the commission of the offense and the commencement of prosecution. Your prosecution started when you were handed the ticket.

A warrant is an order to bring you before the court (since you failed to appear when you were supposed to). SOL has no meaning in a case like that.
    Ok, "statute of limitations" is the wrong term I guess. do Misdemeanor warrants never expire? or will this thing stay with me forever?
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dylan View Post
    Ok, "statute of limitations" is the wrong term I guess. do Misdemeanor warrants never expire? or will this thing stay with me forever?
    It will stay. And you will end up eventually getting arrested on it. Now you can decide you want to deal with at a good time or you can get arrested, most likely at the worst time possible.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    cyjeff is offline Senior Member
    Every single criminal background check I have ever run (and I have run dozens) would have shown an outstanding warrant.

Every one.

Now, not all criminal checks are created equal... but "current wants and warrants" is typical... I have never seen it left out.