• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missed court appointment for disorderly conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littlespacicorn

Hi!

Last December since I got into an argument with a woman in an office. She called security and they filled a pink Complaint Form out and issued a court appointment. I otherwise have a clean record. I went abroad for New Years and ended up getting stranded for three months. I just now returned to New York but missed my court appointment which was in January. How should I go about clearing this up? Do I face time in prison? If so, how long?

Thanks for the help!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You seem to have deliberately ignored and deleted the question about what state you're in. No one can begin to help without that information - it is asked for a reason.

Mt_Vernon

Hi!

Last December since I got into an argument with a woman in an office. She called security and they filled a pink Complaint Form out and issued a court appointment. I otherwise have a clean record. I went abroad for New Years and ended up getting stranded for three months. I just now returned to New York but missed my court appointment which was in January. How should I go about clearing this up? Do I face time in prison? If so, how long?

Thanks for the help!

How does private security have the authority, to issue someone a summons to appear in a court of law?

latigo

You have a warrant for your arrest. (?) You will need to turn yourself in.
Because "(office) security filled out a Pink Complaint form and issued a court appointment"?

What if he "turns himself in" to security? Locked up in the mailroom? Or sentenced to buy the donuts for a week?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because "(office) security filled out a Pink Complaint form and issued a court appointment"?

What if he "turns himself in" to security? Locked up in the mailroom? Or sentenced to buy the donuts for a week?
If the guy was ordered to appear in court and missed being there at the appointed time, then he will (almost) definitely have a warrant out for his arrest. I suspect that the OP has his information mixed up, possibly due to a language issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">