• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missed probation appointment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fresh63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pennsylvania.

my brother has had a warrant for sometime now im guessing a year. But he's been under alot of stress from wat i see when he comes around. He got arrested on a misdermeanor charge and got two years probation never got arrested prior to that one. We're like best friends so he tells me everything so i know he under a alot of pressure for his faults he wants to do so much right now but is'nt able to do so do to his situation. What advice can i give to persuade him to turn himself in so he can move on .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The civilly responsible thing to do would be to contact the police yourself if he refuses to turn himself in.

outonbail

What advice can i give to persuade him to turn himself in so he can move on .
The truth often works. Tell him he is only postponing the inevitable by not taking care of this problem forthwith.
Warrants do not go away.
He is not the first person to violate their probation so I doubt the court will be shocked by this. So I don't think he's looking at any hard time here. He's the one making the situation worse than it had to be, no one else.

I will say this, it is always better to turn yourself in and show the court that you are accepting responsibility for your actions, than it is to wait for the police to come and pull you in wearing handcuffs.

He should contact his probation officer, tell him/her that he now understands that he can not advance in life with this problem hanging over his head and ask them what they suggest he do in order to get the matter resolved and behind him. He can ask them if they are going to recommend to the judge that he does time in custody and if so, if he can have a couple of days to get his affairs in order before he turns himself in. They may tell him the truth and they may not.

An attorney is always the best thing he could have going for him if he wants to get his probation reinstated without having to serve time in custody. It will also help to bring with him, the money to pay any fines and/or court costs he owes, as well as for victim restitution, if any.

But the bottom line is, he will have to answer to a judge sooner or later, so why not just get it over with so he can move on with his life?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">