• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My baby girl just got out of jail and is almost innocent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerisiratemom

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My daughter just got out of jail after spending over 2 hours behind bars. :eek: She was pulled over for not having on a seatbelt and was about to get a warning when the officer informed her that her license was suspended.

She was arrested and taken to jail and it cost over a 100 to get a bail bondsman to get her out of jail.

I am hopping mad.:mad: She had gotten a speeding ticket in April and I paid it on the day it was due using an online site recommended by the citation she had.

Somehow her license still got suspended and now she has none in addition to having to fork out 100 dollars now she has to go to court. I am wondering is she going to have to pay to get them reinstated and attend the classes and such and will we be able to get the money back from having to pay her bondsman.

It is unfair and unjust to have to spend to hours in jail and I was nearly all weekend since it was late Friday pm. She is 5' tall and 92 #s soaking wet just 19 years old. Still my baby. She called her boyfriend and I guess that was for the best cause most likely we would both have been in jail since I would have shown my butt for them putting her in jail.

She had received no notification that her license had been suspended that I know of.

So now what do I need to do?

She should not have to pay for someone else's negligence.What is the name of your state?

fairisfair

yes, I thought that was the funniest thing I had ever read, until I saw the part about her "showing her butt" which by the way, I am still hoping she doesn't. LOL :eek:;)

fairisfair

driving on a suspended license is a crime. Just because YOU didn't know about it, doesn't mean that she didn't.

Why is her license suspended?

racer72

just 19 years old.
That means she is a legal adult and fully responsible for her own actions. Quit treating her like a baby and maybe she won't end up in jail again.

She had gotten a speeding ticket in April and I paid it on the day it was due using an online site recommended by the citation she had.
Right here is the problem. The ticket should have been paid in advance of the due date, most online transactions do not post for 2 to 4 days. Because you did not treat your daughter as an adult an make her pay for her mistake on time, she went to jail. Ignorance of the law and online banking rules is not an excuse.

She should not have to pay for someone else's negligence.
You are absolutely correct. Next time you look in a mirror, you just may see the negligent party.

outonbail

Somehow her license still got suspended and now she has none in addition to having to fork out 100 dollars now she has to go to court.
Tell her not to drive until she has this matter settled. Now she is definitely aware of the fact that her license is suspended, so even if she was unaware the first time, she doesn't have any excuse now.
I am wondering is she going to have to pay to get them reinstated and attend the classes and such and will we be able to get the money back from having to pay her bondsman.
Attend what classes? Was she supposed to attend classes on the first violation which she did not do? Was her first offense, (where you paid on line) supposed to include her attending traffic school, so the ticket wouldn't appear on her record? The fact that you're mentioning "the classes" has me thinking this is the case. If so and she didn't attend as agreed, then it should be no surprise that you're daughter ended up in jail.

She is 5' tall and 92 #s soaking wet just 19 years old.
The law applies to everyone, regardless of weight, shoe size or hair color.

She
had received no notification that her license had been suspended that I know of.
The magic words. The court does not send notice to an adult's parents, only to the adult in question.

So now what do I need to do?
Nothing, it is you're daughters problem and she needs to take responsibility for her actions. I can understand you wanting to help, but the most valuable help for you're daughter, may be none at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">