• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boyfriend was arrested...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canty111

I'm from New Jersey. This weekend my boyfriend and I were at my friends house and there wasn't alot of parking space because a lot of people were there so I parked my car 3 houses down in front of another house. My boyfriend and I were making out in my car when the police showed up because the neighbor had called about an unidentified car. I was putting my shirt back on so my they asked my boyfriend to step out of the vehicle (which was mine) and asked for identification. He didn't have his license on him and first gave them his school ID which was a photo ID with his name. Even though he gave them ID they started to yell at him and hassel him to find another form of ID or his license in his wallet. He must have been avoiding a certain part of his wallet because they asked him what he was hiding under a flap. He told him it was his debit card and they continued to ask him to show them until finally they threw him aganist my car and handcuffed him as they pulled out his fake ID. They then searched him and started to say that he smelled like he had smoked pot and found dutches in his pocket, then put him in the back of the police car (he's 18- legally an adult while im 17). I showed them my license and they then went on to rip apart my car and search it and told me that they could search me also if they called a woman deputy over. Finally they told me to follow them to the police station to wait for my boyfriend while they proccessed him where they further found a small dime bag of weed in his wallet that he didn't realize was there.

My questions to this more about whether they had a right to ask for another form of identifcation and question him about it/ grab his wallet from him. Also, since I did nothing wrong did they have a right to search my car?

FlyingRon

If he was arrested they're free to search him.

If you guys were having sex in public, it sounds like they had plenty of probable cause to arrest both of you.

He's in trouble and needs a lawyer.

racer72

A government issued ID is all the police have to accept as ID.

while they proccessed him where they further found a small dime bag of weed in his wallet that he didn't realize was there.
You broke the Free Advice BS meter. The bill is in the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">