• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter is bipolar and in jail in Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JJava1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I need to know what her rights are on representation - she has been in jail 4 days and no attorney. She has no money. How long must she wait for legal advise?

Also she is bipolar and needs medication, how long must she wait for a doctor?

Please help as I do not know anything about the criminal justice system as none of our family has ever been in trouble with the law before. Also I live in Texas and cannot help her at this time.

TYRIS

I need to know what her rights are on representation - she has been in jail 4 days and no attorney. She has no money. How long must she wait for legal advise?
--If she has no money, she will be appointed an attorney upon arraignment in court.

Also she is bipolar and needs medication, how long must she wait for a doctor?
-Normally upon being booked into the jail, they are seen by a nurse. She should have told them then of he condition and what medication she is taking. If she needed a doctor, one would have been provided for her.

Please help as I do not know anything about the criminal justice system as none of our family has ever been in trouble with the law before. Also I live in Texas and cannot help her at this time.
-What was she arrested for?

Tyris

JJava1

Arrested for

Stolen Credit Card and attempted use on two counts

She had a bail hearing but no attorney?

She completed paperwork to request a doctor about her medication but must wait two days

She completed paperwork to request an attorney and again must wait two days

Her father called a public defenders office and was told someone will be assigned to her. My worry is how long is she required to wait? What is reasonable? What is considered a speedy trial?

rmet4nzkx

Your daughter is getting the same treatment as everyone else, she will be assigned a public defender and in due time she will have medical evaluation. Being Bi-polar with or without medication will in no way help her case and millions of people have Bi-polar disorder and are not medicated and do not commit crimes. Her health will not be affected going without her medication if she was compliant taking it before incarceration. She has 3 hots and a cot, she needs to learn that having bi-polar does not make her an exception to the rules of society.

rmet4nzkx said:
She has 3 hots and a cot, she needs to learn that having bi-polar does not make her an exception to the rules of society.

While I wholeheartedly agree, I believe the OP's original question was why she hadn't had access to the medication she was on in prison, not trying to excuse her behavior.

rmet4nzkx

Dougthegreat said:
While I wholeheartedly agree, I believe the OP's original question was why she hadn't had access to the medication she was on in prison, not trying to excuse her behavior.
And OP provided the answer to that question in a subsequent post,
"She completed paperwork to request a doctor about her medication but must wait two days" Waiting 2 days from when she filled out the request, and may have already happened, since she has now been in jail 4 days at the writing, that will not adversely affect her treatment, most likely, she was not compliant anyway and using it as an exucse, if she were to have a manic episode, she would receive treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">