• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my house and car searched for no reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

benlugnut

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin, 19 years old , male
I only want to write this once so i'll be as descriptive as possible...
I was on my way home one day from work on a break, i live a few blocks from my work. There was a police officer a ways ahead of me, as i drove down on rode, i noticed that he was stopped at the side of the rode taalking on a cell. Thinking nothing of it i turned down my rode a few more blocks down the road, and parked in my driveway. As i got out of my car, the officer pulled up in my driveway. At this point i was thinking nothing of it, just maybe he was gonna give me a ticket for window tint or something. He approached me very nicely and calmy and just asked if he could talk to me for a minute. Still thinking nothing of it, and not trying to be an ass, i said sure. He briefly explained to me that he was a community police officer in the area. Something about being assigned a certain area and that area only to deal with certain crimes and whatnot. But anyway then he started telling me that a few months back he was sitting inside a local Mcdonalds eating with his wife while off duty. He claimed that he had seen my car pull through the drive through and park. He said he saw the passenger making phone calls. He then claimed that someone came over to my car for a brief moment and then left, and shortly after i had left. This was when i started to realize that he was leading to something bigger. He claimed that he thought that this was what he called suspicious activity, and being in the field for a while, he was able to recognize suspisious activity very well. Anyway, about this time, another car pulled into my driveway, a blazer. I pointed and said who's that, he just said that that was his partner don't worry. At this point with both officers standing in front of me, he then asked if i would mind if he and his partner could browse through my car and house. I have been screwed before in the past, so i knew that i should never give an officer permission to search me or my car. At this point, i was still trying to be as nice and cooperative as possible with the officer. So i very nicely said " i don't think so, i don't like people going through my stuff, and that i was due back at work shortly anyways so i didn't exactly have the time. This is when the officer turned into an ass, and basically said " we can do this the easy way or the hard way", "i can be the nice cop or the ******* cop". I asked him which he was most used to. He had told me that he had reasonable suspision to search me if he wanted to. And that if i refused to allow them to search the car, they would bring the awaiting drug dog out for a sniff. The dog was apparently in the back of the blazer. At this point i wasn't sure what to think, i told the officer that i was going to call my dad and ask him what i should do. The officer was obviously very wery of me calling my dad for advice. But still i insisted that they would not have my permission unless i was able to call my dad. i got my phone out of my car and began to dial, the second i put the phone to my ear, the officer pulled it from my hand and closed it. He then said " here, i'll make this even quicker, there's a stem on your seat, now we don't need your permission". I immediately answered bull**** because i had just cleaned my car out a few days prior. and i find it very hard to believe being as that I AM NOT A USER, Because i do get random drug screens at my work, and have the paperwork to prove my cleanliness. He immediately put me in cuffs and his partner began searching through my car. I demanded to see this stem he spoke of. A few seconds later his partner pulled a small stem from somewhere in the car. But whatever it was it was not on the seat, and certainly did not look like a marijuana stem, but more of a one inch stick, it was very very small, not more than an inch in length. After they had searched through my car both opfficers stood in front of me and then the officer told me that they wanted to search the house. At this point i was very upset, and immediately stated "if you want to search the house, you better show me a ****in warrent signed by a judge". Once again the officer had told me that one way or another they were going to search the house, and that if i didn't give them permission, they would leave the cuffs on me and bring me downtown to wait for a warrent. The officer stressed that he has been doing this for years, and that getting a warrent shortly would not be a problem. Basically, he was so good that if he requested a warrent, he would get one. i was left in the same situation again, either allow them to search, or it would just postpone the innevitable. And being that i hadn't the time, i would have to allow them. If i were to not show up at work, i would be fired. The company has lost many employees due to legal matters, they don't seem to care if your held up by the police, it's your fault. The officer seemed to be using this to his advantage, i was after all still in my uniform, and he knew i was on break. Striving to save time, i allowed the officers into the house knowing they wouldn't find anything anyway. After they searched my possesions very closely, they released me from the cuffs, and told me they would be sending me a citation in the mail for possession of marijuana. As they walked from the house i followed them badgering them with questions. I ended up in a fury, and was yelling at the officers outside. I felt they had no reason to do anything they had just done. Both officers felt that with the suspicious activity the officer had seen prior, they had plently of reason to do what they did. I replied by yelling IN THE OFFICERS FACE " ****, THAT'S WHAT YOU GOT, YOU DIDN'T HAVE **** ON ME, AND YOU ****IN KNOW IT", I definetely feel that suposively seeing me parked at a MCDonalds months ago, was absolutely no reason at all. If i went through the drive through and parked after, i must have been eating. Being as that is what people go to mcdonalds for right. I don't recall the exact situation obviously, seeing that he really had no description of when it was or who i was with. I asked him if he remembered who i was with, he simply replied some blonde kid from Preble. Preble being the local high school, it didn't make any sense being that i am already graduated and i don't think i know any guys that are blonde. Overall, nothing added up. AND I DEFINETELY FEEL THAT THE OFFICER KNEW THIS, by the way he was responding to my badgering questions. In a fury, i began walking towards the door, he then held out his hand and said "here take my card", i simply looked him in the face, and turned around, then he said " here,'ill put it on your car seat". Without turning around(and thinking obviously) i yell to him to " Get FUUUUUUCKED", and walked into the house. I surprised even myself with that remark. Although i know i was being an ass, i feel that i had a pretty good reason to be pissed off after everything i had to go through.

So my question is basically did they have the right to do what they did?
Because i wouldn't have given permission unless i felt i had no other choice, and that's how the officer made me feel.
ps. i received a voicemail later from the officer saying the he was turning the case over to the CIRCUIT court, for them to decide what to do.
So now i am in big trouble, i am not sure what circuit court is like or what to expect.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
-Ben

n_and

Ben, I skimmed your post because it was far too long, so let me ask you a few questions - were you arrested? From your post I am gathering you were not. If yes, what was your charge? What citation is being turned over to the circuit court? Was any marijuana found either in your car or your house? The fact that you told the officers they could search your house was permission. It doesn't matter if you felt pressured, or not, your consent was still given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">