• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband's son may be in trouble....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KRSMom

What is the name of your state? NC

The school contacted us today regarding the many absences of my husband's son who is 16 years old. My husband is the NCP. The guidance counselor said that the excuses he brought in said that he had been "meeting with his attorney" and had been "in court" for 2 of the absences. The son is denying this. Is there any way for my husband to find out if he has gotten into any trouble. We know that juvenile records are confidential but being his father and having joint custody is there a way for him to find anything out and if so, how?

Thanks!

JETX

"The school contacted us today regarding the many absences of my husband's son who is 16 years old. My husband is the NCP."
*** Since your husband is NOT the custodial parent, why would his sons school be contacting HIM???
Something is not being told here!!!

And even if the school did contact him, it is clear that his son doesn't want to 'confront' his dad about some legal action in progress. I would suggest that 'dad' not press his son for a response and try to get one from the CP.

K

KRSMom

Could you please tell me why you think it is so strange that a school would contact an NCP? For your information---my husband keeps up with the schools that his children attend and since has JOINT LEGAL custody of his children, he has every right to be informed of absences, grades and anything else that happens at their schools. Maybe you aren't used to a father that cares about his children and is involved in their lives. There is NOTHING wrong with the school contacting their father!

I also disagree with you that he shouldn't press his son about his legal problems! What kind of a parent would he be to not try to find out what is obviously being hidden from him by his son and his son's mother? The son's mother is in legal trouble as well and will not communicate with the father.

If you have any legal advice on how my husband can find out what is happening with his son---please pass it on.

JETX

Okay, here are HIS options:
- Try to get the information from HIS ex-wife, and failing that
- Hire an attorney to bring an action in court.

There are NO statutory requirements for her or HIS son to release any information to him or you.

K

KRSMom

Why is that? What is the point of having JOINT custody if he is not able to obtain any information regarding HIS children.

Oh and I get the point on your capitals of HIM and HIS---I know they are NOT my children. I am on this board by request from my husband.

K

KRSMom

Can anyone help me in finding out how my husband can find out what is happening with his son? I don't see why he should have to hire an attorney to find out information about his own child!

Thanks for any help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">