• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights, theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecody

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi. I have a ?. I don't know if this is the right place to post it but anyway. I walked away from my backpack for like 5 mins at school and 'somebody' took my iPod. I didn't notice til later. Talk to people. Know who it was. The next day I told school. Filled in police form. Neither of them are really doing anything about it. So I started asking the kid for it back, friendly like, he says he doesn't have it of course. Now he says I'm threatening him. I don't think i am, I do say something everytime I see him, and you'd think he'd get used to that if he steals peoples things. I just want my iPod back.
What rights do I have when someone takes something from you and you know it was them (can't really prove it though)? How much can I do? Parents say don't put hands on him, ok yeah, know that much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Welcome back, cody. Hope everything (other than your stolen iPod, of course) is going well.

Think about this carefully before you answer. Do you KNOW who took it or do you THINK you know who took it? If you KNOW, HOW do you KNOW?

It makes a difference how I respond.

thecody

Welcome back, cody. Hope everything (other than your stolen iPod, of course) is going well.

Think about this carefully before you answer. Do you KNOW who took it or do you THINK you know who took it? If you KNOW, HOW do you KNOW?

It makes a difference how I respond.
He tried to sell exact same kind to someone. And I know he was there when it was stolen. And I know he steals things.

Dave1952

Sounds as if you do not know who stole your iPod. Your suspicions are leading you to harass another student, stop that. Have you notified the police of the theft? If you have reported the theft you can run your suspicions by the investigating policeman.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
At this point it's lost property - that's all it is.

Next time don't leave any bags or property unattended - even for a few seconds.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, so you don't KNOW who stole it. You have suspicions and some supporting evidence, but not proof.

What would you like the school and police to do that they are not doing?

OHRoadwarrior

Cody, most schools have video now. Some Apples products have tracking software. Since you have been on thin ice a few times, I suggest you discuss viewing the video with your principal and whether tracking software is on the Ipod which will locate it by GPS or IP address with the Apple Store. Then involve the police to catch the thief without getting yourself into trouble.

CdwJava

Unfortunately, "knowing" and "proving" are different issues. Even if the police believe he stole it, they lack the probable cause to arrest him. They can't beat him with rubber hoses to get a confession, so unless he pops up with YOUR iPod (and it can be identified by identifying marks or a unique serial number that you can provide to law enforcement), there is little that can be done. Video of the theft would be a big help - if it exists.

thecody

Yeah I reported the theft. And told them his name.
Video didn't get it.
Don't think it has tracking.

Sounds like he still has it. He has no future in this. Stealing the wrong things for the market lol. What if I get someone he doesn't know I know to buy it? We get our money back after we show cops?

Proserpina

Yeah I reported the theft. And told them his name.
Video didn't get it.
Don't think it has tracking.

Sounds like he still has it. He has no future in this. Stealing the wrong things for the market lol. What if I get someone he doesn't know I know to buy it? We get our money back after we show cops?
Would you like your friend to be suspected of stealing the thing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">