• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate is on probation, how does it hurt me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xinophilius

What is the name of your state? Maine

So my friend crashed his car, got an OUI, and is not on probation.
Apparently now the police can search my house whenever they want without a warrant.

My questions are:
Is there anywhere I can keep things that the police have no right to search (ie a lockbox or something)?
It is illegal for him to consume alcohol, and nobody residing in the house other than him is 21. If a 21+ year old friend visits and brings alcohol, would it cause problems if my friend on probation wasn't drinking any?
Do they have the right to search my person without probable cause?

anearthw

There is a right to search common areas and anything your probationary friend would have reasonable access to. If you want to keep your schoolbooks locked in a safe where he has no access to the key/code, in your room, go for it.

Are you really asking if he, a 21-year-old, is allowed to sit around and hang out with underage people drinking in his home? Even if he isn't drinking? Think about that one a little bit more.

You can always contact his probation officer and ask for rule clarifications if you wish.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Apparently now the police can search my house whenever they want without a warrant.

My questions are:
Is there anywhere I can keep things that the police have no right to search (ie a lockbox or something)?
It is illegal for him to consume alcohol, and nobody residing in the house other than him is 21. If a 21+ year old friend visits and brings alcohol, would it cause problems if my friend on probation wasn't drinking any?
You afraid to get busted for underage possession or drinking? Do you have a separate lock and key on your room door? Does your roommate have a copy?

Xinophilius

There is a right to search common areas and anything your probationary friend would have reasonable access to. If you want to keep your schoolbooks locked in a safe where he has no access to the key/code, in your room, go for it.

Are you really asking if he, a 21-year-old, is allowed to sit around and hang out with underage people drinking in his home? Even if he isn't drinking? Think about that one a little bit more.

You can always contact his probation officer and ask for rule clarifications if you wish.
I am 20 years old, and I don't drink. I have friends who are 21 and do drink. Obviously if the police come in and I am drinking or my friend is drinking, there are legal consequences. My question is if my 21 year old friends come over and drink their alcohol legally, will it cause problems for me.

anearthw

I am 20 years old, and I don't drink. I have friends who are 21 and do drink. Obviously if the police come in and I am drinking or my friend is drinking, there are legal consequences. My question is if my 21 year old friends come over and drink their alcohol legally, will it cause problems for me.
Your friend would be subject to probation violation.

As for you:

Under 21
Illegal Possession

It is a civil violation for any person under the age of 21 to possess liquor or imitation liquor except if it is within the scope of their employment or in their home in the presence of their parent. Fines for illegal possession are as follows:

1st Offense $100 to $300;
2nd Offense $200 to $500; and
3rd or Subsequent Offenses $500.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/bhs/impaired-driving/guide.html

It's only fine if your over-21 friend happens to be your mom too.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your friend would be subject to probation violation.

As for you:

Under 21
Illegal Possession

It is a civil violation for any person under the age of 21 to possess liquor or imitation liquor except if it is within the scope of their employment or in their home in the presence of their parent. Fines for illegal possession are as follows:

1st Offense $100 to $300;
2nd Offense $200 to $500; and
3rd or Subsequent Offenses $500.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/bhs/impaired-driving/guide.html

It's only fine if your over-21 friend happens to be your mom too.
Incorrect. The over-21 person could be either his mom OR his dad. Dads are just as important. :mad::p

dave33

My questions are:
I take it you should have wrote he IS on probation.

Why do you assume the police can search without a warrant? Probation does not mean that police do not need a warrant in every state. Have you ever heard of probation searching a friends house w/out a warrant? If this is that much of a concern than you should consult an attorney to be sure you get the correct answer.

Xinophilius

I take it you should have wrote he IS on probation.

Why do you assume the police can search without a warrant? Probation does not mean that police do not need a warrant in every state. Have you ever heard of probation searching a friends house w/out a warrant? If this is that much of a concern than you should consult an attorney to be sure you get the correct answer.
Yeah I mean hes now* on probation
The person my roommate spoke with said that the police can come search whenever they want without a warrant.

Isis1

Yeah I mean hes now* on probation
The person my roommate spoke with said that the police can come search whenever they want without a warrant.

now, i understand that this is a different state than mine, but i've been on DUI probation....and those were not my terms of probation.

now, does he check in with a probation officer? that might be the factor. if he doesn't, then i doubt anyone is going to be dancing at the front door anytime soon.

dude, you'll be 21 soon enough. leave the alcohol at the door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">