• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Naming names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brat818032

What is the name of your state? ohio

my sister is a nany, to make a long story short, things have come up missing, someone has ordered things on her credit cards and sent them to her house, opened a couple credit cards in her name, and sent them to her house, has lost clothes that she thinks she may have accidentally thrown away or someone stole. she keeps her house a mess, and her kids are always losing things. anyways, she went to the police about the credit cards on my advice, now she is giving the police the names of all of us. my friend who goes over there occassionally with me, has a couple of misdimeanor warrants out for him. she doesn't know his last name, and the police want to know. there is no case or anything. am i required or even obligated to tell her or the police. none of us had done any of the stuff, the one credit card company has an email address of who applied for the credit card, couldn't they just go from there? she keeps her house so messy, you could lose an elephant, should i even be worried? i just don't want him to get arrested for the warrants over something so stupid. i don't care if they question me or anything, i know i didn't do anything, but i don't want trouble for him. do i have to tell them? can i tell them a fake name, or will that get me in trouble? do i just say i don't know? please help! thank you.:confused:

JETX

"anyways, she went to the police about the credit cards on my advice, now she is giving the police the names of all of us."
*** And that is not improper if she is the victim of credit fraud and/or identity theft.

"my friend who goes over there occassionally with me, has a couple of misdimeanor warrants out for him. she doesn't know his last name, and the police want to know."
*** And???

"there is no case or anything. am i required or even obligated to tell her or the police."
*** Yes. If you know of a criminal act or the whereabouts of a 'wanted person', you are 'supposed' to tell.

"none of us had done any of the stuff,"
*** Curious...... how can you answer for all... unless you know the guilty??

"the one credit card company has an email address of who applied for the credit card, couldn't they just go from there?"
*** Not necessarily. Email addresses are 'spoofed' all the time. However, the security office for the issuer CAN subpoena the ISP's user logs.

"she keeps her house so messy, you could lose an elephant,"
*** You keep saying that.... and it sounds more claim a claim of defense.

"should i even be worried?"
*** We don't know. What did you do??

"i just don't want him to get arrested for the warrants over something so stupid."
*** And???

"i don't care if they question me or anything, i know i didn't do anything, but i don't want trouble for him."
*** And???

"do i have to tell them?"
*** Yes.

"can i tell them a fake name, or will that get me in trouble?"
*** Can you say 'obstruction of justice'?? Can you say 'making a false statement"??

"do i just say i don't know?"
*** A responsible, upright, mature person would be honest when asked by the police.

S

sdstrooper

Why does your friend have a warrant in the first place? If he goes to jail, he deserves it. And don't lie to the police, it'll only make things way more worse than it already is because you'll end up going to jail too.

D

DogToenails

"she keeps her house so messy, you could lose an elephant, should i even be worried?"

Depends if you own an elephant.

H

hexeliebe

Is the elephant's name Jacob? If so, I want him back...we lost track of each other back in '69...or was it the monkey???

damn drugs :D

JETX

I think I might have seen Jacob. What colors was he?? And did he have stripes or spots??

H

hexeliebe

Last time I saw him he was wearing paisley PJs with sunflowers painted on them.

JETX

So, unless he got dressed into a Savoy pin-striped suit (blue with thin light tan pinstripes), regimental tie and Bowler hat, it wasn't him. Need to keep looking!!
:) :)

H

hexeliebe

:eek:

THAT'S HIM!!!! What a sellout!

Oh well, I still have scruffy :p

B

Brat818032

nothing to hide

from ohio...
i have nothing to hide, if the police want to question me, that's fine. because of this she thinks people are stealing her clothes and everything. i understand she worried, but she on the border of being paranoid. he has bench warrants, because he had some traffic tickets and something about his dog being in the car or not on a leash, anyways, he didn't show up for court. i don't know what he was so stupid then, but i don't want him to get in trouble for that now, in the process of this. she knows that none of us took anything, but the police need to know all the names. the point about her house being messy, has to do with the fact that she can lose anything and accuse someone of stealing it. for example, she thought someone had stolen her one credit card, a couple of weeks ago, well, she found it in her laudry room under clothes and toys yesterday. she has left signed checks with no "Pay to" name laying around for $1,600 and others, she has left several hundred dollars cash laying around us before, and never have taken it. i have been going to her house for 5 years+. if we were going to steal from her, we wouldn't be doing it now! all i was doing, was asking for help and advice, not sarcasim!!!!

H

hexeliebe

Listen, you were given the advice you came here searching for from a qualified attorney. If you think this 'friend' is worth facing the charges that you could be liable for, then do what you think is right. You will eventually pay the price, one way or the other.

No one here is going to tell you to break the law. That's your decision.

JETX

You asked a series of questions. I answered them. You can take my advice or not. I really don't care, since I simply do not have a dog in that fight. Do what you want..... as long as you don't get into further trouble trying to play your games.
Have a happy!!

B

Brat818032

not looking to do something illegal

i was not looking for someone to tell me to do something to break the law. all i wanted was a serious answer. all it required was a yes or no answer. i didn't ask for anyone's smart comments or personal opinions. i don't know what kind of low budget attorneys give answers like those that were given, but you don't strike me as being very professional. all i needed was a "yes, it's illegal", "no you're not obligated".....something like that, i wasn't looking to be accused of being a thief or being told i'm playing games, or any of that. i wanted advice of whether it's wrong or not. i didn't need to be told about maturity. my guess is from the answers given re: my question and others i have read, if your people are even lawyers, or anything close, you are either still in law school or just out. just a word of advice, if you want to be taken serious in this world, i suggest you learn how to be professional, and respectful. not talk about some elephant named jacob,and the pajamas he's wearing. it sounds like a teenage chat room if you ask me, rather than a legal advice site. i wanted advice not abuse.

H

hexeliebe

"can i tell them a fake name, or will that get me in trouble?"

*** Can you say 'obstruction of justice'?? Can you say 'making a false statement"??
This was the very first response you received. So, either learn to read or go play your games with the police.

I agree with JetX....we have no dog in this fight.

JETX

Re: not looking to do something illegal

Brat818032 said:
i was not looking for someone to tell me to do something to break the law. all i wanted was a serious answer. all it required was a yes or no answer. i didn't ask for anyone's smart comments or personal opinions. i don't know what kind of low budget attorneys give answers like those that were given, but you don't strike me as being very professional. all i needed was a "yes, it's illegal", "no you're not obligated".....something like that, i wasn't looking to be accused of being a thief or being told i'm playing games, or any of that. i wanted advice of whether it's wrong or not. i didn't need to be told about maturity. my guess is from the answers given re: my question and others i have read, if your people are even lawyers, or anything close, you are either still in law school or just out. just a word of advice, if you want to be taken serious in this world, i suggest you learn how to be professional, and respectful. not talk about some elephant named jacob,and the pajamas he's wearing. it sounds like a teenage chat room if you ask me, rather than a legal advice site. i wanted advice not abuse.
Wow, with a whiney ass attitude like that, I see that you were 'dead-on' when you picked your name for this forum..... Brat!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">