• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCIC Database

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

porkryan

I am applying for my Life and Health Insurance license in all 50 states and the application will search the NCIC. I was arrested for shoplifting, the charge was completely dropped and the disposition shows just that, no probation, no fine, anything, everything dissmissed. Will this charge appear on the NCIC check or are convictions only entered in the NCIC database? An expungement for this has been approved by a judge and is currently in process. Please help!!!!!! Thanks

CdwJava

I am applying for my Life and Health Insurance license in all 50 states and the application will search the NCIC.
See my edit and correction below ... No it won't. Whoever told you that is mistaken. NCIC is not available to private enterprise and is available ONLY for law enforcement or justice administration purposes - any other use is forbidden by state and federal laws.

Your local or state criminal history might be accessible via your state or local database (this varies by state), but NOT NCIC.

EDIT: I note you said this was for LICENSING purposes ... okay, in that case they might be able to search NCIC for disqualifying convictions if this is a license to be issued by a government agency and a criminal records' check is required.

I was arrested for shoplifting, the charge was completely dropped and the disposition shows just that, no probation, no fine, anything, everything dissmissed. Will this charge appear on the NCIC check or are convictions only entered in the NCIC database? An expungement for this has been approved by a judge and is currently in process. Please help!!!!!! Thanks
Whether something appears in NCIC or not will depend upon the laws and procedures in the state where it was entered. If it were in CA, for example, an NCIC check of your criminal history would indicate an "arrest" but that the charge was dismissed or never received.

Also, for the record, CA criminal offender records are not able to be searched ... local court records can be, but not the state CORI (criminal offender) files.

- Carl

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">