• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice for friends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedHelpadi

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
Two of my friends went to a bar one night and decided to do some damage. One of them was caught on tape on top of a table on the outside patio punching a projector and kicking over a monitor. The other friend was scene stomping on the other monitor, and possibly urinating on some outside furniture.
The next day my friend, who was on top of the table, was contacted by the police department in town, saying that he was scene on camera conducting criminal mischief. He has a police record. The police department asked him to come down to the station to talk. He told them that he didn’t remember anything that happened because they were drunk. They asked him to write down what happened. They also want to know my other friends name, because they only know his first. My friend on the table said that he didn’t know my other friend, but at that time the interrogator said "we want to talk to (name) your buddy". The PD wants them to both go down to the station.
Should my friends go to the station without lawyers? Should my friend whom they don’t know his last name go to the station at all? Is it legal to be videotaped in a bar without notice? The police threatened to put out arrest warrants for both of my friends, is it possible to get an arrest warrant for someone whom they don’t know his last name?

Sorry if this sounds chopped, I am trying to make the most out of the stories that my friends gave me. I will be available all day to answer questions, at least those that I know. Thanks in advance for your help.

seniorjudge

Friend, you are in serious trouble.

Q: Should my friends go to the station without lawyers?

A: Yes, if they want to waive their constitutional rights.

Q: Should my friend whom they don’t know his last name go to the station at all?

A: Incomprehensible; rephrase this.

Q: Is it legal to be videotaped in a bar without notice?

A: Yes.

Q: The police threatened to put out arrest warrants for both of my friends, is it possible to get an arrest warrant for someone whom they don’t know his last name?

A: It's called a John Doe warrant...done millions of times a year.

NeedHelpadi

Yes they are

Should my friend, the one who was not contacted by police, go down to the station at the officers request?

How does a John Doe warrent work?

seniorjudge

Q: Should my friend, the one who was not contacted by police, go down to the station at the officers request?

A: Huh? If you were not contacted by the cops, how did the cops make the request? What are you talking about?

Q: How does a John Doe warrent work?

A: The cops look for a person fitting the description in the John Doe warrant and if they catch him, they arrest him.

NeedHelpadi

My friend (a) who was standing on top of the table was contacted by police, probably because he already has a record. He (a) was asked to go to the police department and he (a) was interrogated. He (a) was told by the investigator that if he (a) comes back with the other person (b) on the tape, that maybe they can make a deal and no one will get arrested. My other friend (b) doesn’t have a record. He (b) thinks that the police just want to get him down there to get his info so that they can arrest him.

seniorjudge

NeedHelpadi said:
My friend (a) who was standing on top of the table was contacted by police, probably because he already has a record. He (a) was asked to go to the police department and he (a) was interrogated. He (a) was told by the investigator that if he (a) comes back with the other person (b) on the tape, that maybe they can make a deal and no one will get arrested. My other friend (b) doesn’t have a record. He (b) thinks that the police just want to get him down there to get his info so that they can arrest him.
Your clarification has left me confused.

I don't care if you are (a) or (b) or who you are.

You do not want to tell us what is going on so good luck, whoever you are.

There's nothing more I can tell you.

Curt581

My advice for your friends:

Turn yourselves in. If you make the cops find you, you'll be two very sorry individuals.

My advice for you:

Get new friends. Those two are incomprehensibly stupid. Hanging around with them will eventually get you arrested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">