• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice on Statute for Manslaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RRBP

What is the name of your state? CT

Hello,

I have a question, I will try to make the background as brief as possible.
In 1994 my boyfriend was killed by a hit and run driver who fled the scene and has still not been apprehended. I spoke to the state's atty. Thursday and he said "We know who the offender was, but as it was nearing the 5 year statute of limitations on the charge we did not pursue the investigation."
I spoke to my boyfriend's mother who told me this info back in 1998 , at that time it was only a 4 year time frame versus the supposed 5 year limitation.
Question: Is it truly conceivable that this person killed someone so callously and can now walk down the street stating "I killed RR" and will have no fear of the law?
Is there any way I can fight this and get the statute extended?
Is there ANYTHING at all I can do?
The state's atty refused to give me the info stating it would not be "fair" to the offender. What about fair to the 24 year old young man that was killed? His answer: "He will answer to a higher authority than us." Very weak answer IMO.
Thank you in advance for any advice you may give.

BP

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Is it truly conceivable that this person killed someone so callously and can now walk down the street stating "I killed RR" and will have no fear of the law?

A: Yes.

Q: Is there any way I can fight this and get the statute extended?

A: No.

Q: Is there ANYTHING at all I can do?

A: Not that I am aware of.

RRBP

CT

Thank you for the reply I am wondering if the Chief State's Atty. does find wrong doing, will this person still get off or will it enable us to try to get the case reopened?

seniorjudge

RRBP said:
CT

Thank you for the reply I am wondering if the Chief State's Atty. does find wrong doing, will this person still get off or will it enable us to try to get the case reopened?
I am unable to predict the future.

RRBP

Perhaps the question was worded incorrectly. Does the law allow for the reopening of a case when wrongdoing has been found which allowed the statute of limitations to run out?

CdwJava

RRBP said:
Perhaps the question was worded incorrectly. Does the law allow for the reopening of a case when wrongdoing has been found which allowed the statute of limitations to run out?
If there was malfeasance, that is a seperate matter and can not impair the rights of the accused. Fair or not, the SOL apparently has tolled.

If they chose to charge him with murder, then they might be able to arrest him and plead down to that offense. However, that would require they be able to at least minimally sustain the higher charge ... not likely in the case of a vehicle collision.

What I am wondering is if they knew who the driver was, why did they not simply issue a warrant for him? Or was he relatively unknown to the investigation until the very end?

Other than slamming him in the press or on a website, there really is very little that you can do here.

Sorry.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">