• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to disclose arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burngo

What is the name of your state? Ohio

When my son was 13 there was a neighborhood incident
--a bunch of them was playing on the golf course, someone reported them, police came, called out to them- a few kids were taken to the police station for vandalism- a couple of kids 'got away' as they ran off into the nearby woods and proceeded to go home. When my son (one that 'got away') heard that a few of the kids were taken in, he told me that he did not do any of it... I had/have NO reason to doubt him (reminded him of the guilty by association talk) He said that he would go to the police station without problem and tell them what happened.
We went to the police station and he told them what happened in his words. They 'arrested' him... they read him his rights, no fingerprinting or pictures, I'm pretty sure they wrote it down in a ledger like book, and he was released to me.
Son told me that one of the kids had jabbed a stick in the green by one of the holes. The next morning I went to golf course to take pictures and camcorded the 'damage' so that I would possibly of my evidence of what was there.
It was in the paper the next day about $$$ damage to the golf course by some local kids........
The other kid that 'got away' also denied any vandalism. His mother took him to the police station 2 or 3 times to 'file' his report. (I should mention this is in SMALL community pop. about 1600) no one was there to take report and told him to come back, then was told someone would get a hold of him... no one ever did.
Nothing ever came of the situation. No papers from court, no formal charges- for ANY of the kids... I think that the damage at the golf course was so minor that golf course didn't bother....

FINALLY....MY QUESTION>>>>>>>>>
was my son arrested? when applying to colleges, military academy, jobs... does he need to disclose this?

Kane

It doesn't sound like an arrest to me. He wasn't handcuffed, or restrained or put in a cell. No court date and no bond? He went to the police station voluntarily, and left of his own free will?

It sounds like he gave a statement, and the police chose not to pursue the matter.

I wouldn't consider it an arrest.

burngo

This happened like 3 years ago, when he was 13.

In the next year or so he will be doing college applications- one possibly being a military academy.

I guess my concern was with the 'reading' of rights and 'writing' in ledger...

I did ask a police officer, about 6-9 months later, in a neighboring town, vaguely if we should be concerned as we had never heard anything. He said that if we hadn't heard anything, then probably ok.

Would not want something to come back and bite him...

Thanks for you inputs...

seniorjudge

burngo said:
This happened like 3 years ago, when he was 13.

In the next year or so he will be doing college applications- one possibly being a military academy.

I guess my concern was with the 'reading' of rights and 'writing' in ledger...

I did ask a police officer, about 6-9 months later, in a neighboring town, vaguely if we should be concerned as we had never heard anything. He said that if we hadn't heard anything, then probably ok.

Would not want something to come back and bite him...

Thanks for you inputs...
I think he is okay.

This happened to me once...er, I mean...MY FRIEND...and he never had any record...just pleasant memories of a cop shop visit in the middle of the night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">