• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serisdaddy

hey guys I live in New York State (Saratoga). I was arrested last August for burglaries in Washington and Saratoga counties based on a statement given by a girl who may or may not have had something to do with my wife's death in June of last year. Long story short when I told this person there was a rumor that she did something to my wife, she waited 4 days then went to her mothers house to see her son and called the police saying I choked her and that we did a bunch of burglaries together.
I was eventually arrested for felony burglaries in Hartford and Stillwater N.Y. And a misdemeanor choking charge in schuylerville N.Y. and went to jail. I was there for 9 months when I hired an attorney that got my bail reduced and bailed out. I was then indicted in Washington county and was just indicted in Saratoga county.
For 9 months the misdemeanor choking charge was adjourned because they were looking for a global resolution but now a year later the DA raised the charge from misdemeanor choking to a felony and indicted me on that.
My question is this...isn't there a law prohibiting this? I mean he had more than enough time to raise those charges had he thought they were more severe than initially charged and a misdemeanor charges max sentence is 1 year so those charges should be already taken care of being that I did 9 months.
I am no lawyer but it doesn't sound like it's right please advise me.

Silverplum

hey guys I live in New York State (Saratoga). I was arrested last August for burglaries in Washington and Saratoga counties based on a statement given by a girl who may or may not have had something to do with my wife's death in June of last year. Long story short when I told this person there was a rumor that she did something to my wife, she waited 4 days then went to her mothers house to see her son and called the police saying I choked her and that we did a bunch of burglaries together.
I was eventually arrested for felony burglaries in Hartford and Stillwater N.Y. And a misdemeanor choking charge in schuylerville N.Y. and went to jail. I was there for 9 months when I hired an attorney that got my bail reduced and bailed out. I was then indicted in Washington county and was just indicted in Saratoga county.
For 9 months the misdemeanor choking charge was adjourned because they were looking for a global resolution but now a year later the DA raised the charge from misdemeanor choking to a felony and indicted me on that.
My question is this...isn't there a law prohibiting this? I mean he had more than enough time to raise those charges had he thought they were more severe than initially charged and a misdemeanor charges max sentence is 1 year so those charges should be already taken care of being that I did 9 months.
PHx, y'all. ;)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Charges get bumped up all the time - it's LEGIT.

If you have more questions I suggest you speak with YOUR ATTORNEY.

serisdaddy

Charges get bumped up all the time - it's LEGIT.

If you have more questions I suggest you speak with YOUR ATTORNEY.
Why does this sight exist? Everyone posting anything is nothing helpful!! It's a bunch of cops or ex cops that don't know the law and tell you to talk to your lawyer!!!
If I go to bimmerfest to ask questions about my car or get help there, they don't tell me to ask my mechanic!!

Silverplum

Why does this sight exist? Everyone posting anything is nothing helpful!! It's a bunch of cops or ex cops that don't know the law and tell you to talk to your lawyer!!!
If I go to bimmerfest to ask questions about my car or get help there, they don't tell me to ask my mechanic!!
Good golly.

Eekamouse

And did you choke her? Is there evidence that says you did? How is it that you were committing crimes with the person who possibly had something to do with your wife's death?

serisdaddy

And did you choke her? Is there evidence that says you did? How is it that you were committing crimes with the person who possibly had something to do with your wife's death?
Of course I didn't choke her!! I have never and would never lay a hand on a female! No there is no evidence...no marks, no Drs visit nothing.
As to the other question, she was staying in our garage because she had no place to go. On July 15 2014 on my way home from work I stopped and talked to a friend of mine and my wife's. She asked me what I thought of the chances that ------ did something to my wife? I said I doubted it she had no reason, but my friend said that from what ------ had been saying, me and her had been in a relationship together. When I got home I told ------ that there was a rumor going around that she had done something to Lisa so we could be together. She blew up and started flipping out on me so I left. When I got back, she had drank almost a full bottle of vodka. I told her it wasn't very smart as child protective already gave her a drug and alcohol evail and what if they came back? Anyway, I continued going to work on the 16th, had family court on the 17th which she went to as a witness then talked to my lawyer for 45 minutes, worked on the 17th and met with CPS on the 18th before she left to go see her son with her mother. Later that day is when she signed a statement saying I choked her and did these burglaries!!! First off my wife would never have let me go out at night with another girl not to mention to do burglaries that could put me away leaving her with 4 kids all alone!
Now where did the stuff found in my garage come from???
When my wife told -------she could stay in the garage it was a stipulation that she get a job and help out around the house. On June 17 my wife flipped out on ------ because she hadn't been helping or looking for a job but instead was going out partying. ------ told my wife and me she had stuff at her moms garage she could sell to help with bills and food said it was stuff from when her aunt died and left her and stuff from her ex boyfriend. On June 18 we went to the garage and got a bunch of stuff from it including antique tools signs and hunting crap. Brought it back to my house and put it in a pile in the garage. The next day I brought the hunting stuff to a guy I knew would be interested. On the 19th I brought her to see her son in the am, when we got back to my house my wife and her hung out till the kids went to bed then we all went out to the garage and played cards. My wife died that night actually the 20th morning at about 3am, she had passed out and when I went to wake her she would not respond. I called 911 and that's when everything happened with the investigator seeing stuff in my garage. He questioned me about it and I told him it belonged to ------. From that day until the 18th of July, ------- stayed to help with my kids as I was a wreck.
Anyway that's everything that happened. I had no idea anything was stolen I believed her and she had a key to the garage we got the stuff from.
It wasn't until after she left on the 18th that I thought about it. Why did she make up the story of me choking her and doing these break ins after I mentioned the rumor of her doing something to my wife? Why did she stay from the 15th till the 18th of i choked her? She could have left while I was at work if all this were true. It's like she had to make up something to get the focus and blame off of her.
I don't know all I know is I've told this to police and they don't seem to care. I guess with out me seeing her do something to her even tho all my wife's oxy prescription came up missing and ------ was making her drinks all night, it's easier to go after me with a witness and it sucks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you already have an attorney who is familiar with your case why would you ask a bunch of strangers on a website to help you with a serious criminal matter?

You're in deep do-do and you need an attorney. If you think you'll take care of this do-it-yourself like you take care of your car then you are delusional and maybe stupid too.

Eekamouse

Of course I didn't choke her!! I have never and would never lay a hand on a female! No there is no evidence...no marks, no Drs visit nothing.
As to the other question, she was staying in our garage because she had no place to go. On July 15 2014 on my way home from work I stopped and talked to a friend of mine and my wife's. She asked me what I thought of the chances that ------ did something to my wife? I said I doubted it she had no reason, but my friend said that from what ------ had been saying, me and her had been in a relationship together. When I got home I told ------ that there was a rumor going around that she had done something to Lisa so we could be together. She blew up and started flipping out on me so I left. When I got back, she had drank almost a full bottle of vodka. I told her it wasn't very smart as child protective already gave her a drug and alcohol evail and what if they came back? Anyway, I continued going to work on the 16th, had family court on the 17th which she went to as a witness then talked to my lawyer for 45 minutes, worked on the 17th and met with CPS on the 18th before she left to go see her son with her mother. Later that day is when she signed a statement saying I choked her and did these burglaries!!! First off my wife would never have let me go out at night with another girl not to mention to do burglaries that could put me away leaving her with 4 kids all alone!
Now where did the stuff found in my garage come from???
When my wife told -------she could stay in the garage it was a stipulation that she get a job and help out around the house. On June 17 my wife flipped out on ------ because she hadn't been helping or looking for a job but instead was going out partying. ------ told my wife and me she had stuff at her moms garage she could sell to help with bills and food said it was stuff from when her aunt died and left her and stuff from her ex boyfriend. On June 18 we went to the garage and got a bunch of stuff from it including antique tools signs and hunting crap. Brought it back to my house and put it in a pile in the garage. The next day I brought the hunting stuff to a guy I knew would be interested. On the 19th I brought her to see her son in the am, when we got back to my house my wife and her hung out till the kids went to bed then we all went out to the garage and played cards. My wife died that night actually the 20th morning at about 3am, she had passed out and when I went to wake her she would not respond. I called 911 and that's when everything happened with the investigator seeing stuff in my garage. He questioned me about it and I told him it belonged to ------. From that day until the 18th of July, ------- stayed to help with my kids as I was a wreck.
Anyway that's everything that happened. I had no idea anything was stolen I believed her and she had a key to the garage we got the stuff from.
It wasn't until after she left on the 18th that I thought about it. Why did she make up the story of me choking her and doing these break ins after I mentioned the rumor of her doing something to my wife? Why did she stay from the 15th till the 18th of i choked her? She could have left while I was at work if all this were true. It's like she had to make up something to get the focus and blame off of her.
I don't know all I know is I've told this to police and they don't seem to care. I guess with out me seeing her do something to her even tho all my wife's oxy prescription came up missing and ------ was making her drinks all night, it's easier to go after me with a witness and it sucks.
Had you been sleeping with her? Why would you leave your own house after asking her if she did something to your wife? Why didn't you go to the police with this information so they could look into it? Why wait until you're in trouble to start pointing a finger at her about your wife's death?

serisdaddy

I didnt believe she had anything to do with my wife's death until she left and things got weird with her, kinda like a guilty mind...then I did go to the police and told them what I heard. No I was not sleeping with her and I don't think anyone on this site or myself can get me out of trouble. I asked a simple question. So the mechanic was a bad analogy say you feel like crap and go to the doctor and he says you have cancer and there's nothing to be done....do you just accept that or get a second opinion? I'm simply looking for answers to questions I don't know. I'm not looking for you all to build a case for me. This site is free advice right? So why am I stupid for assuming I could get some advice and or knowledge here?

Eekamouse

As OP, on another member thread stated..."This site sucks".

I think we can tell him to go elsewhere. ;)
No, no. I'll offer my opinion. OP, I think you probably were screwing this chick (with or without your wife's knowledge) and I believe all three of you were engaged in committing burglaries together and I think your wife likely o.d.ed and it was probably an accident. Junkies tend to get violent and irrational so you and the girl probably had a fight over some stupid junkie issue and you grabbed her by the throat but probably didn't actually choke her out. The chick was pissed you did that and decided to be proactive about the cops sniffing around the premises and being all interested in all the stolen stuff you guys had been storing in the garage so she went to the police and ratted you out and now here you are. But that's just my opinion and really, it's merely a theory. I could be wrong....:D

Just Blue

No, no. I'll offer my opinion. OP, I think you probably were screwing this chick (with or without your wife's knowledge) and I believe all three of you were engaged in committing burglaries together and I think your wife likely o.d.ed and it was probably an accident. Junkies tend to get violent and irrational so you and the girl probably had a fight over some stupid junkie issue and you grabbed her by the throat but probably didn't actually choke her out. The chick was pissed you did that and decided to be proactive about the cops sniffing around the premises and being all interested in all the stolen stuff you guys had been storing in the garage so she went to the police and ratted you out and now here you are. But that's just my opinion and really, it's merely a theory. I could be wrong....:D
Your theory is as good as any. OP should find a palm reader...Perhaps they could tell him what to do, ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">