• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with discovery of dash cam/body cam video.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boyscoutgb

arizona**************..
I was followed and arrested by 3 unmarked detectives. Mesa police pulled me over they say for making a unsafe left turn in rush hour traffic, multiple lane changes, doing 70 in a 65, and weaving with in my lane. as we all know that detectives dont do traffic unless the have other motives, and if they were it would not take 3 unmarked cars to do it as well as follow from mesa, into tempe,and finally chandler. The cop that pulled me over,exaggerated the truth terribly. He states i pulled into rush hour traffic and made the on coming car break so hard his tires squealed. Not true, He stated i made multiple lane changes on us 60. I did but they were all nessary. I entered us 60 at mesa drive heading west. so i merged, thats 1, now the 2 left lanes are 101 north, so i moved over 2, I then had to come over 2 to exit 101 south. Now he states i was doing 70 in a 65. the closest officer was minimum 3 or more cars separation, in rush hour traffic there is no way to accurately gauge my speed. An weaving with in my lane first off is XXXXX , second staying with in my lane (not crossing any lines) isnt good enough. Now back to the video, with the dash cam video It would prove a unlawful traffic stop. There are several parts of the discovery they have not released or clam dont exist. Ok with mesa trying to be "transparent" every patrol car and uniformed officer has a cam. your going to tell me that the unmarked cars are not equipped and when the officers are wearing tactical vests there are no body cams. if the car is equipped with hidden lights, is used for surveillance, it damn well better have a cam unless their is unlawful acts being performed on a regular basis that they dont want out in public.

So here is my original question. How/who do i get in touch with to first verify that the cars do or dont have cams, if they do are they always on while in service, where is the info downloaded/ stored, How is it filed and distorted, are body cams standard in tactical uniforms, basically policies and procedures and all documents supporting their clams one way or the other. I know the constitution was written to protect us from harassment/searches/ect. and innocent until proven guilty, and the ends do not justify the means! What no one realizes is every time a situation like mine takes place and everyone just sits back and hears drugs or dui then its justified its ok that my rights were violated. wrong and its that kind of thinking that has allowed are rights to be stripped from us just a few more and we are living under communist rule. I pay taxes just like most us citizens so i pay the police to protect and serve, which means protect my rights as well!!!!! When you take a oth and are paid and empowered to protect the rights of the citizens , that means all rights for everyone! not when and where you choose to do so, when you take that power and trust and violate it you are worse than the person you are after! Bottom line I do respect the police, If i was driving like an ass, i would deserve and would totally except my charges. the fact is my driving was in no way stop worthy and in fact more text book than not only most on the road but the police that stopped me.

Please any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So you were arrested for traffic violations?

I guess you have a big target on your back if detectives are involved.

Most likely they and their cars do not have video cameras.

Sounds like there is more to this than you are telling.

boyscoutgb

I wish i knew the whole story my self

Actually there has to be more to the story, but no one is telling me. My gut tells me that someone else is in trouble with the law and i was thrown under the buss! I know I wasnt on someones watch list, I dont buy the wrong place wrong time bs. Detectives dont make traffic stops unless it serves some other purpose, and they dont come at you 3 deep unless their looking to take you down. I am sure they were quite disappointed when they only found i had personal on me.

CdwJava

So, were you charged with a crime, or not? If so, you have a right to discovery. If you were not charged with a crime, then there is no right to discovery.

If the officer(s) that stopped you were detectives, and the department claims that there is no video, then you are pretty much stuck with that. It is exceedingly unlikely that the detectives had either dashcam or bodycams, so I can't think what anyone else can tell you. I suppose you can try to speak to a supervisor in the agency's investigations unit and ask if their units and officers are equipped with these cameras, but, I doubt you will get the answer you hope to get.

Understand that it takes very little reason to lawfully detain a driver. Even the smallest of infractions - speed, an unsafe lane change, etc. - can permit a stop, even if there is some other underlying reason behind the stop.

Your lawyer can evaluate the circumstances of the stop and the discovery of the drugs on your person to determine if there is grounds for a suppression motion.

A word of advice: Now would be a good time to get into drug treatment and get clean and sober. That's probably coming as part of a plea deal, anyway, so you might as well get a head start on it. Besides, your life will be the better for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">