• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEED HELP! Reckless driving, Moving OUT of state!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GatewayR32

What is the name of your state? CT, moving to Flordia

I was driving to the store to get some groceries with the family. Arguing with the wife for a few minutes before i know it, there is a state trooper on my ass.

He comes to the car and asks me, do you know how fast you were going? I responded with, I don't know sir. He says did you know 86+ in CT in considered wreckless driving? I said 86? He said, YEA 86.

I explained to him that I was moving to Flordia the 1st of Aug before he went back to his car.

He came back to my car. Ok, here is a summions to appear in court. You can tell the judge why you were doing 90+ in the rain. I said 90+?

He said yea, I was on your tail doing 85mph (before he hit the lights) and you were pulling away from me. Officer I had no idea...cuts me right off and says.. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!

Be in court on Aug 3rd or I will come to get YOU. But sir, I am leaving the state and moving to Flordia, like i told you earlier. I need the date changed to before the 1st. Well I CAN'T change it. You are lucky I don't take your car away and take you to jail. Call the court to take care of it and walks away....

Now let me just say that I had *no idea* how fast i was going but I truly believe I wasn't going 90+, Maybe, maybe 80. Which is still speeding and I completely understand that. I have no problems with getting caught.

NOW my problem is I have to be OUT of CT by July 27th. The court date is Aug 3rd. I tried calling the clerk 5 times in the past two days but they are telling me the officer hasn't handed in the ticket to them and they have UP UNTIL the 3rd of Aug to hand it in.

What happens if i can't change the date of the court apperance? I have no choice but to leave CT and go to FL on the 27th of July.

My license is current right now. If i go to FL and get a new license from them before the court date, what will happen in the future if i never went back to CT to attend court the 3rd of Aug?

Could i just call the court and ask them if i could just pay a fine, seeing that i am never going back to CT? How will this affect my insurance etc...?

Thank you in advance for ANY advice anyone can give me.

Mike

n_and

What happens if i can't change the date of the court apperance?
If you do not make the court date, you will be issued a bench warrant for your arrest. Reckless driving is a criminal offense, it's not just like a ticket you can not show up in court for & they'll just double the fine. Honestly? Because you were mouthy w/ the officer, he probably won't hand it in until after Aug. 1st.

I have no choice but to leave CT and go to FL on the 27th of July.
Why?

Could i just call the court and ask them if i could just pay a fine, seeing that i am never going back to CT?
You really can't. This is something you have to show up in court for.

If you REALLY NEED to be out of the state by the 27th, I'd suggest you consult with, and hire, a local attorney. It's possible an attorney can explain your situation and either a] get the date moved up, or b] represent you in court on the 3rd. (you don't have to be there)

Good luck.

G

GatewayR32

n_and said:
Because i lost my job and can't afford to live in CT anymore. There are people moving into the house i am living at before the court date. I am going down to Flordia with a family of 6.

I can't afford to come back up to CT for the 3rd as well.

So you think the best way to go would to be to hire a lawyer and have him go to court for me on the 3rd?

Mike

CdwJava

If you fail to show a warrant could be issued for your arrest. This will NOT go away. If you apply for government jobs, student loands, or any other sort of thing requiring a background check, you may be stymied due to the outstanding warrant. You could also have your FL license suspended when/if they discover the CT suspension (depending on the reciprocity in FL) ... and if you fail to appear in CT, chances are they will suspend your CT license.

Find out your options. Pay the fine or hire an attorney ... or whatever else the court asks you to do.

Otherwise, be prepared for the consequences.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">