• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with self representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fabdad

Texas

Hi, my wife was charged with 1st degree felony child abuse for a accident that happened while she was watching a neighbors child. The child was burnt by hot water. We do not have the 10K (retainer fee) to hire a lawyer. The only other option we have is court appointed or self represent. If she self represents is she able to obtain access to evidence and subpoena witnesses.
Thanks

Mass_Shyster

Texas

Hi, my wife was charged with 1st degree felony child abuse for a accident that happened while she was watching a neighbors child. The child was burnt by hot water. We do not have the 10K (retainer fee) to hire a lawyer. The only other option we have is court appointed or self represent. If she self represents is she able to obtain access to evidence and subpoena witnesses.
Thanks
If my wife was facing a term of 5 to 99 years in prison, I would sell everything I had and work as much as necessary to raise the $10K.

This is not a do-it-yourself project. The risk is too great.

fabdad

Yes that is diffently in the works. I just want to make sure I exhaust every angle. Prepare for the worst. We have three weeks to come up with money so its going to be tight.

CdwJava

If you cannot afford an attorney the court will appoint one for you. Do NOT have her represent herself! HORRIBLE idea!

Oh, and YOU cannot defend her, she would have to do it herself ... a child scalded with hot water is going to be an emotional case, and having her defend herself is fraught with pitfalls for her.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">