• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need name & record of man arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeighborPatrol

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A vagrant who has been living in the park across the street was arrested right outside our house and his car was towed away never to return again. He has since bought another car and continues to live in the park, as he has for the last 8 months. His girlfriend has also been arrested in the park.
How can I find out his name and arrest record? Judging from his actions, we are pretty sure he has a past criminal record. We live very close to 5 schools and it would be a perfect location for a vagrant pedophile.
The local police have been absolutely no help.
If we have the date of his arrest and the address where it occured, can we track down his name and arrest record?

CdwJava

How can I find out his name and arrest record?
The name, age, city of residence, and charges, of the man who was arrested are public record. You can call the jail, cal the police department, or check with the court to find out his name. But, his criminal history is maintained by the state and is not generally available for public review. The police might give you some idea of his history if they choose to, and if he is local there might be a history of actions against him on file with the court.

So, find out his name from the arrest records on that date and in front of your house, then go to court or their web site and look up any actions against him.

Judging from his actions, we are pretty sure he has a past criminal record. We live very close to 5 schools and it would be a perfect location for a vagrant pedophile.
If he is required to register as a sex offender, then as a transient he'd have to check in every month. The odds of this are slim, but it is possible.

once you find out his name, you can check the Megan's Law info at the CA Attorney General's web site and see if he is there.

The local police have been absolutely no help.
What do you want them to do? All they are legally required to provide is the basic information and charges of the person that was arrested. You can go to the department and ask to make a CPRA request for an arrest made on that date and time and on your block and see what they provide you.

If we have the date of his arrest and the address where it occured, can we track down his name and arrest record?
Only if you check with public court records. Even those are generally subject to a 7 year time limit. State criminal history records are not open to public inspection as previously mentioned.

- Carl

NeighborPatrol

Thanks, Carl.

By the police being no help, I meant that I have specifically asked them for the name of this guy (who they are familiar with) and they will not provide it.
I'm not sure why they feel the need to shield him.

Thanks, again, for your help.

CdwJava

By the police being no help, I meant that I have specifically asked them for the name of this guy (who they are familiar with) and they will not provide it.
I'm not sure why they feel the need to shield him.

Thanks, again, for your help.
Go up the food chain to a supervisor or administrator who understand the CPRA. Cite Government Code 6254(f) ...

Notwithstanding any other provision of this subdivision, state and
local law enforcement agencies shall make public the following
information, except to the extent that disclosure of a particular
item of information would endanger the safety of a person involved in
an investigation or would endanger the successful completion of the
investigation or a related investigation:
(1) The full name and occupation of every individual arrested by
the agency, the individual's physical description including date of
birth, color of eyes and hair, sex, height and weight, the time and
date of arrest, the time and date of booking, the location of the
arrest, the factual circumstances surrounding the arrest, the amount
of bail set, the time and manner of release or the location where the
individual is currently being held, and all charges the individual
is being held upon, including any outstanding warrants from other
jurisdictions and parole or probation holds.
If the subject was booked, the jail should have this information as well.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">