• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neeed help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

augustbabi24

I live in new york, and am 17 years old..over the weekend me and my friends were charged with possession of marijuana and received a ticket and a court date. The officers told us that we did not have to tell our parents about this and just had to show up in court and pay the fine... I need to know if I need to bring a parent or not.

donkort

You don't have to tell your parents

But you'll have to come up with a reason why you'll be gone for so long. Court can take all day.

In New York, if you're 16 or above, you're charged as an adult-so no parents need to be with you in court.

It sounds like you were charged with Unlawful Possession of Marijuana (PL 221.05), which is a violation and not a crime. The maximum fine is $100. It also sounds like you've been told to appear at 346 Broadway, which is the "summons part." Am I correct?

If you have time, I would attend proceedings at the court where they summoned you to appear, so you could get an idea of what they offer first-time offenders. I would also inquire as to the availability of lawyers, and whether a lawyer will automatically be there to advocate for you (I'm not really sure what goes on in the summons part).

I do know that If an "ACD," is offered, I would take it. Just stay out of trouble for a year, and the case will be dismissed and sealed. It will not become a part of your permanent record if you stay out of trouble for that year.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">