• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - Altered Driver's License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigmike9726

I live in NY, but I got arrested in NJ. I was in the backseat of my friend's car yesterday on Palisades Parkway (Alipne exit, Bergen County), and he got pulled over by 2 Palisades police officers. One of the cops saw me "fidgeting" in the backseat, so they pulled me out of the car and checked me out. In my wallet they found my old learners permit which I had chalked to say I was born in 1980 (I didn't even realize I had this on me, which I know was really stupid of me). After they discussed with eachotherin the police car, they pulled me back out and cuffed me. At the station, they booked me, fingerprints, mugshot, the whole deal. I was in and out in under an hour and I didn't even need to post bail. I have a perfectly clean record, but I am nervous as to what is going to happen to me. Anyone have any advice as to what I should do in court (monday), or as to what i could expect to come out of this? Help is appreciated. The police report is as follows:

"Within the jurisdiction of this court, knowingly possess a document which simulates a document issued by a governmental agency and which could be used as a means of verifying a persons identity or age specifically by posessing one (1) NY state drivers license with altered date of birth (08-20-80). This is a violation of NJSA 2C:21-2.1D"

Just FYI: I am a student at SUNY Geneseo, and will be 21 in a month and a half. I also talekd ot my friends dad who was a Seargant Brooklyn Homocide, and he said that he thinks my best defense would say the cop had no reason to search me just for "fidgeting". any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">