• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No proof of insurance/seat belt ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nhan916

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

hello guys last night i was issued a seat belt ticket, and the ******* also cited my passenger one. My passenger wore her seatbelt the whole time i was wondering if i bring this to trial do i have a chance of winning?

and also he asked for proof of insurance i didn't have any because i was driving my uncle's vehicle. He does have insurance for that car what do i do?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

hello guys last night i was issued a seat belt ticket, and the ******* also cited my passenger one. My passenger wore her seatbelt the whole time i was wondering if i bring this to trial do i have a chance of winning?

and also he asked for proof of insurance i didn't have any because i was driving my uncle's vehicle. He does have insurance for that car what do i do?
If you were wearing your seatbelt, you can go to court and say that you were. Your passenger can use you as a witness in her case to say that she was wearing her belt.

As for the insurance, get a copy of the uncle's proof of insurance to present to the court to show that the vehicle was insured at the time of the stop.

- Carl

nhan916

hey carl thanks for the reply, but i admit i didn't wear a seatbelt and am prepared to pay for it I just don't want my passenger to go through this hassle because she was wearing her seatbelt. Is there any way that she doesn't have to go to court and i can go to trial for her or something? because she is a 17, a minor so her parents would have to go with her also

CdwJava

hey carl thanks for the reply, but i admit i didn't wear a seatbelt and am prepared to pay for it I just don't want my passenger to go through this hassle because she was wearing her seatbelt. Is there any way that she doesn't have to go to court and i can go to trial for her or something? because she is a 17, a minor so her parents would have to go with her also
Yes, you can go to trial as a witness on her behalf. If, on cross examination, the officer can agree that he did not have a good view of the passenger before the stop, perhaps the court will find there to be reasonable doubt sufficient to dismiss her cite.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She's gonna have to tell mommy and/or daddy. YOU cannot go to court on her behalf. You can go to ASSIST her as a witness, but she'll still need to be there.

nhan916

errr that sucks then, i guess she doesn't have a choice than thanks for everything it's just not fair how she got a ticket for something she didn't do. okay! thanks for the advice guys!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">