• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nolle prosqui vs dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msv_hines

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My son was arrested for maming (mislicious wounding) and since the victim never appeared in court, the case was nolle prosqui. The case never went to circuit court and the general district judge ruled the case as nolle prosqui. My question is, does he not have the power to totally dismiss the case, and is not how can the case get totally dismissed instead of nolle prosqui?

Son of Slam

Just count your lucky stars

A nolle prosequi can not be entered in cases of assault and battery in a lot of courts. The State should become the plaintiff.
Stir it up if you wish, as your son deserves his day in court.

FlyingRon

A Nolle Prosqui is a dismissal, but in Virginia it is without prejudice, which means that it can be reopened at a later time. In Virginia, unless the trial has actually started, there is never dismissal with prejudice on a criminal matter.

Now he could have countered the prosecutors motion for the nolle prosqui, but there's no reason the judge would have not granted it anyway. Most times nolle prossed stuff is never reopened. You can apply for expungement on the basis of a null posqui determination.

Son of Slam

The COMMMONWEALTH is always the "plaintiff" in a civil action.

Stir it up all you want, but there is no entitlement to demand you be prosecuted for something.

Oh. I didn't see the civil in "arrested for maming (sic) (mislicious (sic)wounding)".
And, I was being facetious about O.P. wanting his son in court.

Sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">