• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not allow to appear for hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fancydat

What is the name of your state? Washington

I know of someone whom is in jail - he has been arrested but not convicted - he is there because he can't make bail.

Does he not still have legal rights to appear in court over a civil matter - ?

H

hexeliebe

Not without a judge's permission. He has the right to bail, and he has the right to ask for a continuance until he gets out of jail or bails out.

F

fancydat

hexeliebe said:
Not without a judge's permission. He has the right to bail, and he has the right to ask for a continuance until he gets out of jail or bails out.
So if I understand this - if he is served paperwork saying there is a hearing but becuase he is in jail he can't appear unless a judge says so. isn't that why he was served papers to tell him there was a hearing? How would a inmate go about filing or asking for a continueance if he can't appear in in the first place or have I misunderstood what you said?

H

hexeliebe

He gets an attorney to appear for him and ask for the continuence or a family member can go to the courthouse and ask for the forms necessary to answer the summons and ask for a continuence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">