• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Guilty--Petty Theft with a Prior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foreverprecious

What is the name of your state?Calif

Can anyone tell me if they have heard any positive stories or any sites with info where a defendent was innocent and plead not guilty to a petty theft with a prior and they found him not guilty. A truly innocent person doesn't stand a chance in our legal system. The system isn't designed to protect the innocent, it's designed to punish the guilty. If you happen to be one of the unlucky ones that gets caught up in a legal nightware, oh well you just SOL

Thank you

Two Bit

If the evidence isn't there to convict you, then you should go to trial. You can't be convicted without evidence.

Kane

People always seem think everybody gets off scot-free, or that everybody goes to jail forever. There's never an in-between.

A judge once told me, if everybody goes away unhappy, he knows he's done his job. :)

foreverprecious

As far as saying you can't be convicted without evidence. When it comes to receiving stolen property, (was there criminal intent comes into play). All the defendant did was give a person a ride to Home Depot, the person stole something and placed it in the back of the defendants truck. So as far as I can tell the way it will end up it just depends on how the jury feels about the person. With the limited instructions that the jury is given, I don't no if it was me, if I could take the chance of spending the rest of my life in prison, but the only other option this person has would be to take a plea of 4 years and lose everything he has worked so hard for in the last ten years.

gawm

If you are truly innocent I would have a lot of faith in the jury system. There are some factors that will play into it however, they are
1-Race
2-your judge
3-your lawyer
Any of those three things have the ability to tip the scales of justice one way or another. Also I would advise you to take the stand if you are truly innocent. Most defense lawyers don't like clients taking the stand because they lose control on that part but from a jury's perspective , if you can't get up there to say you didn't do it, you're probably hiding something. This is something I learned from my experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">