• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Notified of Court Appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curlyq's mom

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Looked thru an envelope from an attorney today (explain later); said something about how I had failed to appear in court July 26 and he is demanding $500 by Aug. 15 (tomorrow) or I will be arrested. What??? Have not been served any papers or received anything in the mail to my knowledge of any court appearance due.

Brief background: In October 2006 had arrangement with attorney on an old debt. In December 2006 got into major car accident with injuries. Notified same attorney by phone and by mail that I would temporarily be unable to keep our financial arrangement due to loss of work and no compensation during recuperation. He never responded. Got behind in lots of bills earlier in the year am nearly back on my feet. Since I get so much mail I got onto an automatic debit system for utilities and look only at my credit card statement. Everything else is usually junk, so it all goes immediately into shredder. Out of curiousity I did glance at the above-mentioned letter today, which was in a pile of mail ready to shred. I would think something really important would arrive Certified or Signature Required, etc. How can I be arrested for something I was not notified about? Obviously I am not in a position to come up with $500 in one day. Do I have any sort of defense? Have not contacted that attorney yet cuz I don't know what to tell him and am not sure he will speak with me anyway (based on past contact history). Can you please advise on my next move?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">