• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NT - LETTER OF RELEASE - Hillsborough County FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oweaponx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

What does Disposition this mean:

1. 784021 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
NT - LETTER OF RELEASE
1. 784021 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
THIRD DEGREE FELONY

I was walking home from the mall at night, some years back, and cops accused me of pointing a gun at someone. No gun was ever found.

At the time, a spot light was shined in my face, as I sat in the car, but I was never allowed to face my accuser, who never showed up in court.

They told me they were looking for a white male, blue jeans, black jacket. I told them I have black jeans and blue jacket, and that they had no other descriptions, such as if he was tall, short, thin, or fat. Only that "...you're who we found."

Since there was no one who appeared in court to accuse me of what I didn't do, the case was dismissed, and I went into the Navy.

How can this effect me? Since there was no one to charge me with the crime, can I have this expunged?

racer72

but I was never allowed to face my accuser
Criminal law 101. The state is your accuser. Your were never tried so there is no requirement for the state to present any witnesses against you.

FlyingRon

Criminal law 101. The state is your accuser. Your were never tried so there is no requirement for the state to present any witnesses against you.
The Constitution doesn't say anything about accusers. People commonly paraphrase the fifth amendment Confrontation Clause to say this, but what it really says that in criminal prosecutions you have the right to confront those who give testimony against you.

However it doesn't even seem he got to a criminal prosecution. This was nolle prosqui'd shortly after arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">