• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Inquiry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godogi

What is the name of your state? NY

on early sunday morning i was ticketed with a chalked id.

i was then charged with the same thing the next morning by the court.
criminal possession of a forged instrument in the third degree

im ordered to go back in a month, which is no biggie.

but this is my first time being charged with a misdemeanor.

a. should i be that worried.

b. how much will the fine be.

c. should i just go with a public defender; because where i committed the offense was over 1.5 hrs from where the lawyer id be using is located.

d. how long will it stay on my record for.

e. should i plead not guilty or guilty. even tho they have my chalked id in there hands.

edit: for reference i violated 170.20 of penal law of new york state.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

a. should i be that worried.
Yes.
b. how much will the fine be.
A class A misdemeanor is good for up to a year in jail and $1000 fine.
c. should i just go with a public defender; because where i committed the offense was over 1.5 hrs from where the lawyer id be using is located.
I'd recommend a lawyer. Whether you qualify for a public defender depends on whether you are indigent or not. It's not something you choose just because you are too cheap to pay for private counsel.
d. how long will it stay on my record for.
Forever.
e. should i plead not guilty or guilty. even tho they have my chalked id in there hands.
Not guilty until a lawyer tells you otherwise (or you have a diversion that requires it).

First timers may be eligible for a pre-trial intervention that may result in you not being formally found guilty and getting a criminal record.

godogi

thanks man-

my buddy who had a similiar offense said he jsut had to pay 500$ fine and was on ACD for 6 monthes - this was without a criminal record. im in the same book. ive never been convicted of anything and ive never even been pulled over or convicted for a traffic fine. so i guess ill go with a private lawyer if its this serious.

will it have an effect if ive had a clean record beforehand?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">