• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY State owning firearms prior to a felony conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Felon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

ok so here it goes.

long story short i know that i will be convicted (probation likely No jail) of a Non-violent computer related felony. in a few weeks, i am out on my own reconissance, however my main concern is my vast collection of rifles and shotguns, these were all purchased legally and years prior to this incident.

Q. 1. Can they come in my house after the conviction and take my collection away?
2. what if i "sell" these to a close relative, while i have time?

I really do not want to lose these items, some of them have a significant historical value, ie. old civil war WWI and WWII relics.

PaulMass

There is an interesting case being considered by the Supreme Court right now.

See

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/02/argument-preview-what-rights-do-felons-have-over-their-surrendered-firearms/

I'm not familiar with New York Law, but under Federal Law, if you become a felon, you not lawfully permitted to own or possess firearms. I suspect the state will revoke your license and may come for your guns.

The time to address this issue is BEFORE you are convicted.

FlyingRon

Ownership isn't an issue. You can't purchase or possess them. You can give them to a relative for safe keeping until your rights are restored or to arrange their sale, as long as they are outside of your constructive possession.

Paul, there's no "license" or "registration" for rifles in New York State.

Who is charging you, NY or the feds?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Paul, there's no "license" or "registration" for rifles in New York State.
That depends. In New York City one is required to have a Rifle/Shotgun Permit issued by NYPD.

And if a particular rifle falls into the nonsense category of "assault weapon" then it does have to be registered with the State.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">