• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC AC 10-125 Advice??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sweetwilli

What is the name of your state? New York

In October I was summoned in Manahattan with AC 10-125 for having an open beer that I bought in Penn Station on my way to a show. I live two hours away in eastern Long Island and was not aware of this city law. As a person in a public position with a clean record, I intended to fight this ticket, but missed the first court date due to a cancelled train. I immediately sent in the payment for the ticket but pleaded not guilty. The court sent the check back to me (to the wrong name, which arrived only a few days before the next court date not leaving me enough time to get off of work)and they claimed that I cannot pay the fine and plead "not" guilty. I am going to send a money order as requested with an explanation of why it is late and why I missed the second court date, but I refuse to admit guilt for a law I did not know existed. I know this may seem petty, but it's just the principle. Can they realy issue a warrant for my arrest if I pay the fine and plead not guilty?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">