• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC how to get my items back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikecord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Hi, I am trying to get back my items. I was given a DA release form to pick up my items, but the officer involved in my case has not released it in the system. I called up over 50 times requested for this officer and he is never available. I went to the station and he is not available there also even though I saw him entering. I left numerous message to contact me but never gotten a call. I finally spoke to him 3 weeks ago and he said he will take care of it later that day and I will be able to pick it up by next week. Next week comes by and nothing has been changed.

He is also ignoring my lawyers request. What this officer motivate and what can be done. Is he stalling to try to keep my items if possible. It been 10 months already.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi, I am trying to get back my items. I was given a DA release form to pick up my items, but the officer involved in my case has not released it in the system. I called up over 50 times requested for this officer and he is never available. I went to the station and he is not available there also even though I saw him entering. I left numerous message to contact me but never gotten a call. I finally spoke to him 3 weeks ago and he said he will take care of it later that day and I will be able to pick it up by next week. Next week comes by and nothing has been changed.

He is also ignoring my lawyers request. What this officer motivate and what can be done. Is he stalling to try to keep my items if possible. It been 10 months already.
Speak to the supervisor.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If this is NYC then you're dealing with someone in a NYPD precinct.

How long ago was the property taken? Unless it was in the very recent past, chances are it's at the borough property clerk. Did you also get a receipt from the NYPD? You should have gotten a copy of the property voucher.

It makes no sense that you can only deal with a single police officer. You need to get yourself down to the precinct in person (I'd probably also ignore you if you called 50 times) and speak to the desk officer on duty - that should be the person who deals with the release of vouchered property. He or she will advise you how to get your property released. You will probably end up having to go to the property clerk's office to get your property back.

quincy

Here is a link on the procedure for getting property returned that has been held as evidence by the New York Police Department, the information provided by the NYPD Property Clerk: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/property_clerk/property_clerk.shtml

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">