• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obligation to sign or re-sign documents 2 days after arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tschaikovsky

What is the name of your state? Maine

I was arrested and released on bail Saturday the 20th. I received a call on Sunday morning from the arresting officer asking me to "sign and re-sign" documents relating to that arrest. I have not been able to get to the P.D. to comply and will not be able to until later today or tomorrow. Am I under any legal obligation to do this?

JETX

Of course you have no legal obligation to sign the forms. However, they would likely then have legal rights to report your being released as an attempt to escape and then to shoot you on sight.
BOOM!

H

hexeliebe

Be afraid of a sherrif named "Big Louie" telling you "Naw, son, we put these antlers and fur coat on everyone who we like. Keeps 'em warm in the woods"

Be very afraid :D

H

hexeliebe

We should rename it 'Swan Lake' where he'll be found after Big Louie gets done with him

T

tschaikovsky

As it turns out, the actual wording the officer used was "re-serving your paperwork, if you could just come down and sign the appropriate paperwork... speak with any officer... aaah, if you could just come down and get that paperwork signed I'd appreciate it." Since this is "re-serving" of paperwork am I required to sign them if they have been UNALTERED or am I required to sign even if they have, in fact been changed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">