• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obstruction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IIKeRsEyII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Recently a detective asked me if we egged a house because I had been arrested recently for it and I had just be woken up and I said yes thinking he was questioning me of a house we already got caught for. Then my friend called me later today and said I made a mistake saying we never egged the house he was talking about and I realized that we never actually did. So I called the detective back and said I made a mistake because I did, then I get a call from my friend saying that the detective said he is going to try and charge him for Obstruction of Justice or whatever by telling me we did the wrong house. Can he actually be charged for that?

Last edited:

outonbail

The detective files a report with the district attorney/local prosecutor's office.
They decide if there is enough evidence to file charges against you and/or your friend, based on the detective's report.

However, as a result of your original confession, you can still be charged with Vandalism, destruction of property or malicious mischief, depending on the damage the eggs caused and the clean up cost to the homeowner.

If the detective believes that your friend has threatened you or is in some way convincing you to now change your story and lie, then I imagine he could be charged with witness intimidation or obstruction. Then it would be up to a judge or jury to decide what the truth is.

So it depends on the details and what you may have said in your confession.

If you're suspected of a crime, you should never voluntarily talk to the police without an attorney present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">