• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obstuction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laquanda

What is the name of your state? I live in monroe,ga. Last week I was arrested for obstruction because i would not give the police a name. I sat in jail almost 2 days for this. Monroe PD did not read me my rights or tell me what I was being charged with until I got to jail. I don't know anything about the law so i didnt know they could force me to tell them anything.I was just wondering if they had the right to arrest me.

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? I live in monroe,ga. Last week I was arrested for obstruction because i would not give the police a name. I sat in jail almost 2 days for this. Monroe PD did not read me my rights or tell me what I was being charged with until I got to jail. I don't know anything about the law so i didnt know they could force me to tell them anything.I was just wondering if they had the right to arrest me.
Yes . Ignorance of the law is no excuse .

tranquility

Unless you are in a state with a specific requirement to present ID in certain circumstances, my answer does not change. I don't believe GA is one of those states. (At least it wasn't listed in the fairly recent Supreme Court decision.)

There is clearly more to this story as it is fairly settled law that identification requirements (absent the specific statute referred to above) only attach in booking.

CdwJava

There is clearly more to this story as it is fairly settled law that identification requirements (absent the specific statute referred to above) only attach in booking.
To add to Tranq's statement, they only attach to an arrest or citation (neither of which must result in a booking) ... unless one of the 21 states that have a 'must identify' statute when detained.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">