• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining Law and Ordinance Books

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Matt46_2

Missouri

Some time ago, I contacted my towns police department and asked for a copy of the law and ordinance books they went by when conducting their affairs, I was told by an officer that I would need to have my lawyer contact them and they would be happy to comply.
I feel the need to have a copy of said documentation again, and I have a lawyer I could probably contact to simplify the situation and get what I need, but I feel that I have a right to see whatever rulebooks they use without the aid of a lawyer, is there anyone that could offer insight to this, thank you in advance..

tranquility

Most such things are publically available at the library or the internet. The particular "books" may or may not be discoverable through court proceedings. Especially in a criminal matter they probably would be, and you would serve a subpoena to get them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Missouri

Some time ago, I contacted my towns police department and asked for a copy of the law and ordinance books they went by when conducting their affairs, I was told by an officer that I would need to have my lawyer contact them and they would be happy to comply.
I feel the need to have a copy of said documentation again, and I have a lawyer I could probably contact to simplify the situation and get what I need, but I feel that I have a right to see whatever rulebooks they use without the aid of a lawyer, is there anyone that could offer insight to this, thank you in advance..
You have every right to see the "rulebooks" (so to speak). By the same token, the police department is under no obligation to provide them to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">