• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Why091684

What is the name of your state? AL

My son recently committed suicide and I was trying to get the police report from it. I've been told that they can't give me one. He was married, so I don't know if thats the reason or not. I just want to know what the police had to say about it. Is there anything I can do, or anyone that can tell me why I can't get the report. When it happened the police did call me to come to his house and my family was there when they carried him out.

Thanks

acmb05

Why091684 said:
What is the name of your state? AL

My son recently committed suicide and I was trying to get the police report from it. I've been told that they can't give me one. He was married, so I don't know if thats the reason or not. I just want to know what the police had to say about it. Is there anything I can do, or anyone that can tell me why I can't get the report. When it happened the police did call me to come to his house and my family was there when they carried him out.

Thanks
Did they give you a reason why they would not give you one?

If it was a short time ago they may stilll be investigating it

Why091684

acmb05 said:
Did they give you a reason why they would not give you one?

If it was a short time ago they may stilll be investigating it

The lady on the phone said that it was a private report. The investigation should be over, It was almost 3 weeks ago. It was clearly suicide because the police had to knock down the door to get to him. I just want to know more. He had just recently moved out with his wife and this is just really hard.

acmb05

Why091684 said:
The lady on the phone said that it was a private report. The investigation should be over, It was almost 3 weeks ago. It was clearly suicide because the police had to knock down the door to get to him. I just want to know more. He had just recently moved out with his wife and this is just really hard.
3 weeks the investigation could quite possibly still be open on it, especially since he recently seperated from his spouse. The fact that they had to knock down the door does not mean it was definately suicide.

Why091684

acmb05 said:
3 weeks the investigation could quite possibly still be open on it, especially since he recently seperated from his spouse. The fact that they had to knock down the door does not mean it was definately suicide.

He wasn't seperated from his spouse, they just moved out together, she wanted a divorce though and they had a huge fight.

CdwJava

Laws vary by state, but it is likely that you will not be able to obtain a copy of the report for some time. There may also be open issues related to the case. Certainly, as long as the investigation is open they will not cough up the report without rellay good cause (in other words, you might need a court order ... which would be unlikely in the event that the case is still open).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">