• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer wants copy of citation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monselle

What is the name of your state?California

I was caught by loss prevention at frys.
Outside of the store as I was walking down the stairs they asked me
go back inside the store by grabbing my arms and wrists holding tightly
then called for more associates because I tried to run but this was only
after they had been grabbing my wrists tightly. by the way i am a female
and they had at least 3 to 4 men holding my arms behind my back then they
placed handcuffs on me which were so tight that I have cutts on my wrists
not to mention bruises on my arms and leggs and i never attempted to assault any of them or cause harm to anyone else. When I screamed to inform them they were too tight they did not care when they took me back inside to the office they searched me and then told me I better give them
back merchandise that was stolen last night they knew I took but figured I would be back and if I did not tell them what they wanted to here they would delay the police officer coming down to book me and it could take a really long time. I told them my daughter needed picked up from school and they told me that nothing could be done until they finished their report. They then called the police after i told them what they wanted to hear. When officer showed up she let them continue to question me at this point I was still handcuffed with hands behind my back suffering becauseof the tightness. Finally the officer decides to question me and asks if she can go into my vehicle to receive my bag of which i told her contained 2 items i was returning to the lp assocaites upon requests. She goes outside to get is gone for a really long time comes back with my bag retrieves the 2 items from bag and asks about other stuff in bag which is some notebooks, resumes etc then the lp jerk offs keep my notebooks and (still have in their possession) then the cop questions me about the incident and reads my rights afterwards she issues me a citation and i am free to leave. now a couple of days later I find out she wants a copy of my ticket now i am wondering what this is about? any ideas also was what the store associates did legal at all? I have pictures of the bruises also this was done in front of store and probaly is on camera

CdwJava

monselle said:
now a couple of days later I find out she wants a copy of my ticket now i am wondering what this is about?
I have no idea. It could be you got the wrong copy. It may be she is looking to amend the citation. Maybe you need to ask her.

any ideas also was what the store associates did legal at all?
They are allowed to detain you for the police. That means that they can use reasonable force if you try to tun or resist. if you received an injury due to the handcuffs you can sue for medical bills and MAYBE for any suffering ... but that's iffy unless you HAVE medical bills due to the incident.

But, you can sue anyone for almost anything, so there MIGHT be an attorney willing to take the case if you have enough cash up front.

- Carl

adam2dot0

Of course, bruises and detained property are what happens when you shoplift and resist being confronted about it. Maybe they are tacking on child endangerment charges because you were too busy stealing to care for your child.

racer72

From what I have read, Fry's has one of the best loss prevention plans in place with an extremely high success rate for catching shoplifters. Plus wait till the OP gets a letter from Fry's demanding the state limit of $500 for the civil penalty Fry's will impose. Then she will really have something to cry about.

outonbail

now a couple of days later I find out she wants a copy of my ticket now i am wondering what this is about?
Personally, I would claim my dog ate it or maybe it flew out the window of your car. I received a speeding ticket years ago and when I appeared in court on it, my name wasn't on the calendar. When I went to the clerk's window to inquire as to what courtroom my case was assigned to, they couldn't find me in the computer system. The clerk asked to see my copy and I had the sense to tell him I didn't have my copy and just remembered that it was scheduled for court that day. They told me to check back in a week and see if the case was scheduled.
I did this for a couple of weeks and nothing. The case was never scheduled and I never heard another word about it. I figure the officer may have lost his copy or it was destroyed somehow. But if I had shown my copy to the court clerk I have a feeling it would have been scheduled in a week.

Your situation is different than a speeding ticket as there are a number of witnesses who could testify that you were the one detained and cited for the charges, in a case where the officers copy was lost.

One thing you can probably count on, is that the officer doesn't want it to remove any charges......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">