• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old arrest warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gringa

What is the name of your state? Illinois

When "my friend" was 17 yrs old (in 1987) she was arrested for retail theft in Illinois. She was told, by the judge at curcuit court, that the store dropped the charges and she was free to go. Two days later, she moved to Florida. Now, she is 35 years old and has found out that there is a warrant for her arrest for retail fraud in Illinois. The judge signed the warrant 7 months after her court appearance and her move to Florida. She is applying for her teaching certificate next fall, will this show up on her background check? and, how should she approach and fix this problem, short of going to Illinois and turning herself in for???????

O

oberauerdorf

She is applying for her teaching certificate next fall, will this show up on her background check?
Can you spell DUH?

and, how should she approach and fix this problem, short of going to Illinois and turning herself in for???????
I sure hope this is really a 'friend' and not you. Even the most inept teacher knows you don't end a sentence with a preposition.

As for what she can do, she can contact the Illinois circuit court to find out how to post bond or call the bar association in the city where the court is located to hire an attorney to handle the matter.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Apparently you, er, "she" didn't hear the part when the judge said, " . . . and probation for 6 months." So, when you, er, "she" left the State, she did so against her probation status.

She, er, you, will be busted, and wind up having to spend those same probation months behind bars.

IAAL

G

gringa

cleared record

Called an attorney in Illinios. He charged $300 to research the old arrest warrant. It was for leaving the state of Illinios before the 6 month probation period was completed. Since she did not have any other "problems" in all these past years the attorney went to the judge who had issued the warrant and requested the charges dropped and the file was sealed to prevent any future problems with gaining employment. She did get records of all this! She now has a "clean" record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">