• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old bench warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karmag

Louisiana. I was in some trouble back in 98 and hired a lawyer and all was ok. The police started to act the ass because I wouldn't give up names so they threatend to have my wife and sister arrested and all of their children put in foster care so basically backed me into a corner to become a CI. I gave up one person and refused to go any further. The DEA told me I didn't need the lawyer (didn't take that advice) because the DA was gonna give me almost nothing. In the mean time my lawyer had me sign a paper saying he could represent me for arraignment. He had a murder trial that day and told the judge the situation with the DEA and to delay the arraignment. Basically told the DA the same thing and told me to just wait. His (rather sneaky) objective was to have this fall through the cracks. I waited a year couldn't find work in that town because my reputation was shot and the area is just full of drug culture and I had to feed my kids. I consulted with my lawyer, the DA, and the Head Narc about moving out of state. They said that would be fine and they would call me when something happens. A year goes by and I get a great job and they do a background check and it showed a PENDING bench warrant. So I get on the phone with the DA, DEA, Head Narc, ane my lawyer and a some of them did a little footwork and said not to worry that if was ever arrested I would not be extradited. So basically don't worry and live your life. Well moving to a nice metropolis I found a good job, paid the bills, bought a house, car.... etc and haven't been involved in the drug culture for years. So I feel I am completely rehabilitated. Keep in mind that this is a Parish level charge.

Sooooooo...... its been 8 years... what happens to these old warrants?
I had someone call for me at my dads concerning jury duty and he ask where I could be found and how long have I been gone. Nothing was revealed. The number was a Washington DC # from the Department of Justice. So now I am paranoid. Do states transfer these old warrants to the DOJ? Do they serve these warrants? If I get arrested it will erase all the hard work rebuilding and rehabilitating my life these 8 years. If these guys are after me then how fast do they work?

I have called the head narc and he says that phone call doesn't make sense. I am currently trying to get a hold of my lawyer.

In the mean time anxiety abounds and I don't know what I am facing here. Any advice or predictions of a possible outcome? This was a Felony drug charge and the local parish level.

BelizeBreeze

Louisiana. I was in some trouble back in 98 and hired a lawyer and all was ok. The police started to act the ass because I wouldn't give up names so they threatend to have my wife and sister arrested and all of their children put in foster care so basically backed me into a corner to become a CI. I gave up one person and refused to go any further. The DEA told me I didn't need the lawyer (didn't take that advice) because the DA was gonna give me almost nothing. In the mean time my lawyer had me sign a paper saying he could represent me for arraignment. He had a murder trial that day and told the judge the situation with the DEA and to delay the arraignment. Basically told the DA the same thing and told me to just wait. His (rather sneaky) objective was to have this fall through the cracks. I waited a year couldn't find work in that town because my reputation was shot and the area is just full of drug culture and I had to feed my kids. I consulted with my lawyer, the DA, and the Head Narc about moving out of state. They said that would be fine and they would call me when something happens. A year goes by and I get a great job and they do a background check and it showed a PENDING bench warrant. So I get on the phone with the DA, DEA, Head Narc, ane my lawyer and a some of them did a little footwork and said not to worry that if was ever arrested I would not be extradited. So basically don't worry and live your life. Well moving to a nice metropolis I found a good job, paid the bills, bought a house, car.... etc and haven't been involved in the drug culture for years. So I feel I am completely rehabilitated. Keep in mind that this is a Parish level charge.

Sooooooo...... its been 8 years... what happens to these old warrants?
I had someone call for me at my dads concerning jury duty and he ask where I could be found and how long have I been gone. Nothing was revealed. The number was a Washington DC # from the Department of Justice. So now I am paranoid. Do states transfer these old warrants to the DOJ? Do they serve these warrants? If I get arrested it will erase all the hard work rebuilding and rehabilitating my life these 8 years. If these guys are after me then how fast do they work?

I have called the head narc and he says that phone call doesn't make sense. I am currently trying to get a hold of my lawyer.

In the mean time anxiety abounds and I don't know what I am facing here. Any advice or predictions of a possible outcome? This was a Felony drug charge and the local parish level.
Hire an attorney where you are now to call the DOJ and ask.

seniorjudge

Q: Sooooooo...... its been 8 years... what happens to these old warrants?

A: They stay good forever.

Q: Do states transfer these old warrants to the DOJ?

A: No. State charges are state charges; federal charges are federal charges.

Q: Do they serve these warrants?

A: Each agency serves its own warrants but it's not unusual for one agency to ask another agency to serve warrants.

Q: If these guys are after me then how fast do they work?

A: From your post, I gather they don't work very fast.

Q: In the mean time anxiety abounds and I don't know what I am facing here. Any advice or predictions of a possible outcome?

A: We fired the only psychic we had hired. I mean, like he couldn't see that coming?

Bottom line: You need to hire a lawyer in Louisiana and get this taken care of once and for all.

karmag

thats all good advice and pretty much what I knew already and currently trying to take care of. What I am wondering, worrying about is this destroying my life once again. I followed each sides advice , lawyer, DA, and even called the DEA to let them know my new number and location just to make it clear that everyone on all sides were ok with the move out of state. If I do have to go to court are they going to take into account my present living situation and best possible rehabilitation method used (removing yourself from the area and cutting ties with all friends)? I really did a complete 360 and got a great job, bought a house, raising great kids and have built a new life. Jail time would surely destroy all of that and possibly even "dehabilitate"(is that a word?) me. One more thing... when I was arrested, the NCIC computer just happened to be down and they never got around to putting my pic, info and prints in it. So I don't have to worry about getting pulled over (which has happened).

This is more of what I was asking a prediction and or advice of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">