• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old FTA Warrant in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerseyg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

I was sued approximately 4.5 years ago by a maid service for failure to pay a bill. Long story short, my roommate and I were moving out and the home needed to be professionally cleaned (per our lease agreement) to receive our security deposit back. We used my card to reserve it, but roomier didn't have her half and once they were done, the card was declined. Original debt 282.00. As a student, I did not have the extra funds pay. Went to court and attempted a payment arrangement, but he kept dragging me back wanting more money every month. Final debt because of court costs is bear 1700. I lived at my next address for about 6 months and never forwarded my mail. Turns out, I missed a appearance and have had a FTA warrant for a few years that I was unaware of. I found out when I was recently pulled over for a burnt out turn signal. I have no.idea why the officer let me go on my word that I would resolve it immediately on my own. Perhaps my.munchkins in the back of the van. A couple of calls later, I was informed I could turn myself in and get a court date, but the warrant is $500 that I do not have right now. Is it possible to write the court and get a new date and the warrant suspended or lifted? Thank you in advance!!

justalayman

You don't get FTA warrants for civil actions. You just lose the suit. If there is a FTA warrant, there is some criminal issue involved. Care to share?

Is it possible to write the court and get a new date and the warrant suspended or lifted?
No.

jerseyg

You don't get FTA warrants for civil actions. You just lose the suit. If there is a FTA warrant, there is some criminal issue involved. Care to share?

No.
No, it was never criminal except missing the court date. I did not miss the original date...I accepted responsibility for the debt. This was a date AFTERWARDS for missing a payment. It may be a bench warrant...I'm not all that familiar with the process. The woman on the phone simply said, I missed a date and a payment. There is a warrant...it is 500 warrant. My assumption is FTA. They aren't very informative over the phone. FYI....if I am asking for info....why wouldn't. I tell you what I know? Doesn't help me at all if I am not forthcoming with you. It's not as if I killed someone. Just looking for advice for a crappy situation.

Last edited:

justalayman

Let me correct myself. I thought did not realize michigan was in the group of allowing arrests for a fta arrest for a debtors exam.

If that is what it is, if you can pay the judgment, it would be a great idea. After you pay off the judgment, then start to deal with the warrant as the payoff is going to allow the court look at this very differently.

Borrow the money from somebody if you have to but pay off that judgemnt.

Then contact the court to schedule an appearance. Plan on paying the fine there too if one is required. They may wave any fines if the judgment is paid off but I would suspect they wouldn't if the judgment isn't paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">