• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Warrant out of FL advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiousinpa

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I just recently moved to PA. The gun laws here are great if you are pro gun that is.

I want to go apply for the concealed weapons permit at the courthouse. My concern is I got arrested back in April or May 2000 I was pulled over in a speed trap and arrested for two warrants both misdemeanors driving without a license and unpaid speeding ticket.

I was bailed out in the am and had a court date June 17 2000. I went to that date and was just a have you re-instated your license and paid your fines. I had not they said ok and I left.

I moved to NJ 3 days later. Apparently I was rescheduled for another court date I did not know about and new warrants were issued. I found this out when in late summer around August 2000 a couple bounty hunters showed up at my job in NJ. Options were go back to FL with them or pay them $1400 to cover the bail. I paid the $1400 they left and said it would still not clear my issues in FL but they would no longer care. Just to be carefull in FL if i ever went back.

I went to the DMV in NJ with just a FL ID card no license and took all the tests over again written driven etc... and got a new license with no relation to the old one in FL. I also just transfered that to a PA License yesterday again no issues.

My concern is if I apply for the license at the courthouse my FL warrants will show up and I may be arrested for extradition and have to go through all that mess and expense.

Does anyone know if the background they run in PA will show outstanding misdeamonr warrants in FL that are over 7 years old now. Or even if those warrants still exist 7 years later? Since my PA license only reverts to my NJ license that never related to FL. I have gotten a few jobs since all with background checks and an especially indepth background check at my current job (They are a mjor co.) and nothing has ever shown up.

Any advice woud be greatly appreciated.

Just red a thread a couple down from mine. Where a lady states each time her husband is pulled over he is asked if he is aware of his wassrant out of state. I have been pulled over in NY and in PA since then never have the issues/warrants from Florida been mentioned to me. Also says misdemeanor warrants can drop after 5-7 years. Any clarification on this please.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

There is not necessarily any time limit on warrants. You need to get this resolved with whatever court issued it.

clubbed by med

Just go to a police station and ask them to run an NCIC on you, and if the warrants are discovered, they'll arrest you and ask Florida if they want to expedite you. If the warrants are for petty violations, they probably won't expedite you, and will drop the warrants. It costs them a lot of money to expedite a person across state lines, and it's a huge pain in the butt for everybody involved. Most states won't expedite unless it's a high-profile case that they really want to prosecute, for whatever reason.

Read my post in the arrested and detained topic for details about my own personal experience with warrants from other states. Granted, I was in Florida and the warrant was from New Hampshire. Florida might not mind paying for the expedition and dealing with the headache. Either way, it's always best to just get that crap over with instead of having it hang over your head.

Good luck.

curiousinpa

Thanks for the information. I called an old friend in FL who is a cop and he ran me. They are both still active one for 1k and one for 1.5k he said they are not even misdeamonr warrants they are just traffic warrants which are lower level.

He did say he wold not reccomend me showing up in a courthouse ad running my federal background for the gun license. Hes not sure if they will show up or if it will matter but if they do I could get arrested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">