• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open alcohol on public way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hanz

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi Guys/Gals

While I was in Champaign, I left a bar with a beer....I got a ticket for possession of alcohol on a public way.

The next day, I left for home b/c I was done with school.

I forgot about the court date- and having other debts and no job, I could not pay-

I just got a notice to appear in court for arraignment (don't know what that means) this week, and I have no way of getting down there, and I don't have money for bus, ticket, bills..etc...

If I don't go- what may happen?

Basically, what are my options and consequences?

Thank you

CdwJava

If you do NOT appear, chances are good that a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

Your best bet is to call the court, give them your name and the relevant info on the citation, and ask what you can do to pay the fine. It's probably cheaper than going back ... and certainly cheaper than jail.

Carl

CdwJava

Call the one that's listed on your citation. If you do not have the cite with you, call the court houses and see what they tell you.

Carl

Hanz

I just called, and was told to pay the money or I'd have to appear in court....I can't do either. No car, no ride, no money... If I get the warrant, what's gonna happen? How will it get resolved once that happens? The lady told me my fine would keep increasing....I friggin hate champaign!!

n_and

If I get the warrant, what's gonna happen? How will it get resolved once that happens?
You will have what's called a bench warrant out for your arrest. That gets resolved in 1 of 2 ways:

1. You die, or
2. You turn yourself in and pay the fine!

Hanz

i choose to ---umm...not die

I was told the warrant will not go outside of champaign county

does that mean I can avoid it if I never return there?

n_and

You were told wrong. No matter where they run your name, whether it be Alaska, Utah, or Illinois, you have a warrant. It will not go away.

That's the bottom line. Either go to court, or pay the fine. If you don't go to court, you'll end up with a bigger fine and a warrant out for your arrest.

CdwJava

If you are far enough away, IL may not extradite you for the warrant, but it will always exist. When you apply for a student loan or government freebies, it will rear its ugly head. If you are driving through IL it will be there. It won't go away.

It's best to take care of rather than wait for the day that it comes back to bite you - like if you are changing planes in Chicago 10 years from now.

Carl

Hanz

Well guys, once again, thanks

I made some calls, one of my friends luckily pointed out that an aquaintance of his was on his way down, and I was able to score a ride-----lucky me

I do have to wait a week for court, but I have more friends able to provide me with a place to stay, and food!!!!

Any advice for court and how to explain that I have no money with which to pay...is there a way to get the fines reduced, and maybe an extension?

T

TalulaRae

Carl,
Can he do some jail time instead of the fine? That would take care of his housing, food, clothes, transportation, utilities and best of all his citation. Is that an option at all?

CdwJava

That depends on IF jail time is even an option in these cases. In CA this would be an infraction and punishable only by a fine and/or community service. I doubt that the county will want to fork over the dollars to house and feed him, so my guess is that IL will not have jail time as an option.

Carl

abezon

Do you have any friends in law school who are clerking with the state's attorney's office who could help you negotiate a deal? Can you walk your butt down to the legal aid clinic at the law school & ask for help getting a non-monetary punishment, & getting it pushed bak until you're back at school? Be sure you have a nice outfit to wear to court. As I recall, the C-U judges were sticklers for courtroom etiquette. Long sleeves, tie, short hair, no tennis shoes, etc.

ptlmejo

Ask for a payment plan if nothing else. Many judges will grant it if you can't pay. But, they will ask for proof of why you need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">