• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open alcoholic bev in public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treetrunk

What is the name of your state? live in nj.. summons in nyc

i received a summons, my first name, my address, and my town are all off by a letter. my birthdate is wrong. those are the only items filled in on the summons. no license number or anything else is filled out. my friends tell me that i don't have to go to the court date b/c they don't know who i am and won't be able to figure it out b/c of the lack of information, and the information they do have is not correct. what should i do? if i do go how should i proceed? could it be dismissed? :confused: :confused: :confused:

outonbail

treetrunk said:
What is the name of your state? live in nj.. summons in nyc

i received a summons, my first name, my address, and my town are all off by a letter. my birthdate is wrong. those are the only items filled in on the summons. no license number or anything else is filled out. my friends tell me that i don't have to go to the court date b/c they don't know who i am and won't be able to figure it out b/c of the lack of information, and the information they do have is not correct. what should i do? if i do go how should i proceed? could it be dismissed? :confused: :confused: :confused:
How did you receive this summons? Through the mail or was it issued by a police officer who had you sign it right above the words, "promise to appear?"

Not that it really matters. Because if this summons was intended for you, a typo isn't going to excuse you for not appearing and there's a real good chance that the bench warrant, which will be issued for your failure to appear, will have everything spelled correctly

JETX

treetrunk said:
my friends tell me that i don't have to go to the court date b/c they don't know who i am and won't be able to figure it out b/c of the lack of information, and the information they do have is not correct. what should i do? if i do go how should i proceed?
By all means, follow the advice of your friends!! Go ahead and ignore that citation!!
Then, you can argue your logic to the court when a FTA warrant is issued and you are arrested.

could it be dismissed?
No one can answer that without knowing the FULL circumstances and what your defense may be.

treetrunk

how can they identify me?

outonbail said:
How did you receive this summons? Through the mail or was it issued by a police officer who had you sign it right above the words, "promise to appear?"

Not that it really matters. Because if this summons was intended for you, a typo isn't going to excuse you for not appearing and there's a real good chance that the bench warrant, which will be issued for your failure to appear, will have everything spelled correctly

i received the summons from the police officer at the scene.. they didn't have us sign it.. there is a section to sign but we didn't have to sign it with her. they actually told us that we'd just be able to mail something in and we wouldn't have to go to court, so i don't really understand. how will they identify me though without the correct information and no license number?

outonbail

If what you say is true and you mail them the fine amount, they will not even look for you.
If you ignore it, they have a credible eye witness, the officer who issued you the citation!

If the information you are claiming to be incorrect, was provided by you in response to the officers questions, you should prepare yourself to answer to a whole new set of charges, which will increase the seriousness of your case considerably.

Do you really want to risk building a mountain of legal troubles over a mole hill of stupidity?

If so, listen to your friends,,, sounds like they've all had some bar experience,,,, have any passed it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">