• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open container of alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoeG03

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Basically after driving home from a concert me and my friend were pulled over and he was charged with an open container of alcohol in his car. First of all it was in a generic bottle mixed with redbull and i don't even think there much alcohol left in there. He was not drinking and driving, it just happened to be in the backseat at the time of the pull over. Lastly, the container was covered by a coat and not in plain sight. The officer did not ask me to move the coat he told me to. I complied thinking there was not anything there...since we were not drinking that night.

the second part of my question lyes in fact that they charged him after they pulled us over for absolutely no reason. We were driving on a main road and a cop happened to be right on our tail. We were not speeding and we were not swerving or anything like that. My friend who is really afraid of cops being right in back of him decided to pull into a random street hoping the cop would just keep going. Instead he followed us and proceeded to pull us over. He claimed that he was suspicious because we were not from the area and we turned into a residential development or something. Is that enough to stop us and basically snoop?

Last edited:

The Occultist

Before you can challenge the stop, you will first need to find out how the officer articulates the need for the stop in his report.

mr.blue

Before you can challenge the stop, you will first need to find out how the officer articulates the need for the stop in his report.
Universal translator

Before you can challenge the stop, you will first need to find out how the officer lies to justify the need for the stop in his report.

Welcome to another example of guilty untill proven innocent.
Think about this the next time you vote for an elected official.

JoeG03

Universal translator

Before you can challenge the stop, you will first need to find out how the officer lies to justify the need for the stop in his report.

Welcome to another example of guilty until proven innocent.
yea man this was unbelievable. i mean other times i can see being pulled cause i was obviously doing something wrong. But i was literally doing nothing to warrant a pull over and a search. I want to fight this out of pride and to not let these *******s get away with this.

The Occultist

Universal translator

Welcome to another example of guilty untill proven innocent.
Hard for me to tell due to the confusion of the written word without voice, but I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not taking a shot at me.

The fact is, there are quite a few officers who will not tell you why they pulled you over, and that is why it is imperative you get the officer's report. JiminCA actually gives good advice in this area, so you should find just about any post of his on this board.

JoeG03

my friend is on probation for a stupid unrelated crime( he got grand theft auto for joy riding in a school golf cart lol). He wants me to go to court and say the alcohol was mine...Can they change the charge to underage possession or will i just get the open container fine? Because i will do it if its the latter, but the fine for underage possession is redic.

mr.blue

Hard for me to tell due to the confusion of the written word without voice, but I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not taking a shot at me.

The fact is, there are quite a few officers who will not tell you why they pulled you over, and that is why it is imperative you get the officer's report. JiminCA actually gives good advice in this area, so you should find just about any post of his on this board.
No . not a shot at you. Sorry for the confusion.
But just the fact that the police don't have to be open and honest is reason for alarm. I think in most places it is a crime to lie to police. Provide false information. But they can lie to us, or withhold information. Its just down right crazy. It is selfdesructive for law enforcement. Its all these petty actions that cause distrust in police and the rule of law.
--The only reason the citizens are goverened by the police is because they choose to be.--
If the people ever decide not to submit en masses, The police will loose badly. How long will they be able to keep up this badass bluff your guess is as good as mine.
In my city there are 10,000 citizens for every 1 police officer. You do the math.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">